Slate Tile & Sealing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Slate Tile & Sealing

I am sealing my slate tile with DuPont Semi-Gloss water based sealer BEFORE I am going to install it. I accidentally sealed the wrong side of a tile.

Do I have to remove the sealer or will the thinset still adhere to the tile even with a sealer installed?

Advertisement

JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Slate Tile & Sealing

if you can pressure wash the sealer off the bottom first.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Slate Tile & Sealing

One tile?

That's Dupont's acrylic topical sealer you put on there and most probably sensitive to high caustic floor wax strippers. Use that if you have it, or spray on EasyOff oven cleaner...then rinse real well.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Slate Tile & Sealing

You're not putting slate in a shower are you? Trust me, I didn't heed the warnings I was given and I've regretted it every day since. It was beautiful for a few months and now it is a mess despite my best cleaning efforts. I used $84/quart (15 year) sealer, applied two coats, and it looks like crud a year later.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Slate Tile & Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You're not putting slate in a shower are you? Trust me, I didn't heed the warnings I was given and I've regretted it every day since. It was beautiful for a few months and now it is a mess despite my best cleaning efforts. I used $84/quart (15 year) sealer, applied two coats, and it looks like crud a year later.
NOPE. I am putting the slate on a fireplace wall.

From what I heard, slate is NOT good in high traffic areas and areas that get a lot of water (showers).

I was told to SEAL the slate first BEFORE installing, as getting the grout and thinset cleaned off of the many groves and pits in slate is a nightmare.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

Slate Tile & Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
One tile?

That's Dupont's acrylic topical sealer you put on there and most probably sensitive to high caustic floor wax strippers. Use that if you have it, or spray on EasyOff oven cleaner...then rinse real well.
Yes, 1 tile.

I might just use brake cleaner on the tile to remove the sealer. That stuff removes anything and drys immediately, leaving no residue or any oils.

Advertisement