Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
gnu

Share |

slab on grade?

Hi, I am attempting to gather infromation for a woman on a fixed income hoping to build a small home, maybe 700-900 square feet, depending on the local zoning. It will be located outside the Guelph area in Ontario.

I am new to new construction but was wondeirng, in order to cut costs, is slab on grade feasible? Are the saving at the front end going to cause more expense later if the ground heaves or is that not a concern? I am not positive of the soil condtion. Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

As this is my first post and I am in the prliminariesof gathering all info I can for her I was wondering if ayone is aware of any other sights that might be of use.

Thanks

gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

slab on grade?

So what do your soil sample reports say?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

slab on grade?

Hi gnu and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like an honorable thing you are doing for her. Wow though, where to start?
There are innumerable things to know about starting a ground-up construction. You need to start with finding a professional in your area I think to help you find a proper plan for this. A designer or Architect that will be sympathetic to her plight perhaps?

Your local Building Department might be a good place to start in locating someone.

To answer your question though I believe there are techniques for pouring slab-on-grade without digging to the frost line.

Sorry, not much help I know.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
gnu

slab on grade?

Thanks for your answers, I wont' have a soil reprot until the spring thaw, do hou know what my options are if it is sandy vs clay as far as a foundation.

Andy, you mentioned there are inumerable things working from the ground up. what are the top three things, in your opinion, I should be starting with???!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Tileguy

slab on grade?

Quote:
Thanks for your answers, I wont' have a soil reprot until the spring thaw, do hou know what my options are if it is sandy vs clay as far as a foundation.
You need a plan.
Your architect/engineer will be able to advise you of any excavation and soil modifications that may be required.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

slab on grade?

In my experience if you have expansive soils then the foundation and especially the footing needs to be either thickened, deeper more re-bar or all three. Ask the city if they have a prescriptive solution for the foundation detail. Likely they will but that solution might or might not be more expensive than what can be engineered to work.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
gnu

slab on grade?

That was helpful. She isn't gong to purchase the land until we can 'nail down' a few more of the costs. There is no room for financial errors here. I will check with the township on Monday.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

slab on grade?

The Guelph area is not known for expansive soils, however it is well known for cold winters and deep frost line. The local building department will tell you the design frost depth, and will almost certainly be able to discuss foundation options that are used in the area.

Slab on grade above the frost line requires special techniques to minimize the potential for frost heave and other problems. You should discuss these issues with the building inspector before purchasing the land, as the cost of the foundation for a small house can amount to a significant fraction of the total cost of the house.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
gnu

slab on grade?

Yes it is the frost line and cold winters I am concerned with as well. I am thinking at least a crawl space will need to be poured and hopefully cut down on the cosst.

I have never built new and am over my head for sure.
Thanks for your input