Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Skylight Install - Cutting attic joist crossbeams?

I'm going to be installing a skylight in the middle of this picture, cutting through the middle joist. That means that I'll have to cut through 2 "crossbeams" (I don't think they are called rat runs because I don't have a truss), here is a pic:
http://img178.imageshack.us/i/img5813s.jpg/

This is a pic of one of the crossbeams (they are 15' long crossbeams, spanning 11 joists which are 16"OC):
http://img685.imageshack.us/i/img5814t.jpg/

They are on the other side of my attic as well, 3 of them, 15' each, spanning the entire length of my house, overlapping on a joist as you saw in the first pic.

My questions:
1. Am I allowed to cut them?
2. If yes, what do I need to do before & after I cut them (i.e. Put additional ones on? Full 15' ones, or just long enough to span a few joists? Move the entire 15' existing ones instead of cutting them?)?

Keep in mind I'll be splaying the skylight front/back so if I need to replace the crossbeams, they will not be in-line with the existing ones, they will be several feet closer to the middle of the attic and/or several feet closer to the edge of the roof to make room for the splayed skylight walls. And yes, I know I need to deal with all those wires that are in the way, fun fun fun.

spup345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Skylight Install - Cutting attic joist crossbeams?

Got my answer elsewhere. Basically, they are rat runs, not structural in nature (helps folks walk in attic and solidify joists), can just put a couple of additional ones in front & back of the skylight walls spanning 7-8 joists, then I can cut the ones in the picture and double-up everything as needed for the skylight frame. Thanks.

spup345 is offline   Reply With Quote