Sistering To A Sagged Rafter - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Sistering to a sagged rafter

I am putting a dormer on my 1.5 story house, and am at the point where I have to sister the rafters on each side of the opening. The house is over 100 years old, so there is about 1" of sag in the middle of the 14' rafters (not bad considering!)

What is the easiest way of dealing with this? The rafters are true 2x6 so could I take a 2x8 and scribe it to fit the curve? Jacking it straight wouldn't be an option as the sag probably happened before the ceiling / rafter ties were installed (probably about 70 years ago). Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Why not sister and straighten all rafters that are in this area?

I guess scribing a 2x8 would work.

Do you have a permit or need one? that may effect what you can do. ask your inspector if applicable. Notice your in Atlantic Canada. My wife is a Newfie.

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

In situations where ripping the width of the framing lumber will not compromise the strength of the lumber- I will measure the width that needs to come out at the center of the piece and pop a chalk line from center outward to both ends of the piece, making a long V cut .
Also, with the crown of the piece of lumber facing down it will form more (sister) to a sagging framing member though I think there is more deflection strength with the crown facing upward.
Just buy lumber with a 1" crown in it, not hard to find these days

Last edited by hand drive; 10-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
Just buy lumber with a 1" crown in it, not hard to find these days
Amen
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,006

I doubt your 2x6 roof framing would meet your required energy code for insulation thickness... never rip a piece of lumber to compensate for ?, fig. #3: http://books.google.com/books?id=iwS...joists&f=false why not frame it larger and furr down the rest of the rafters to match?

Gary