Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Share |

Sistering rafter acceptable

The end of one of my rafters is damaged. It has a birds mouth cut at the top plate. I am getting some work inspected in the same area, so I was wondering if sistering the rafter is acceptable by code. I was planning on making the same birds mouth cut and using lag bolts and 16d commons to attach it.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
The end of one of my rafters is damaged. It has a birds mouth cut at the top plate. I am getting some work inspected in the same area, so I was wondering if sistering the rafter is acceptable by code. I was planning on making the same birds mouth cut and using lag bolts and 16d commons to attach it.
I would prefer to use carriage bolts rather than lag screws. Just my opinion!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #3

Bolting is completely unnecessary. Use 10's or 16's and use a lot of them and it will be fine. Many engineers also suggest/require construction adhesive. If the existing rafter is damaged enough to require sistering, the sistered member should be full length bearing to bearing. Shorter scabs would require an engineer's report. The code makes no mention of sistering, but it is nearly always an accepted repair.

For what its worth, if this is an existing condition that is not part of the currently permitted scope of work then the inspector has no realistic reason to require you to make repairs. Doing so would be pretty unfair. Of course it is a good idea to fix it though.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #4

I dont see why you cant sister it if its damaged the repair it ... I usually put 4 nails every 16" to 20" down the member on both sides
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote