DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sistering Floor joists

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Technow 
#1 ·
I have a house I am purchasing and after the home inspection there were some floor joists that needed to be sistered. There was prior termite damage that was sistered years ago and that work looks good as the sistered joists are shimmed and run span to span and touch the subfloor.

The other joists appear to have a fungus per the home inspector and the joists were sistered. However, this work looks like crap. the new joists are full span but don't touch the subfloor, were never shimmed and just nailed to the weak joist.

Is there any code requirement for sistering floor joists?
Does the fungus have to be treated?

Thanks

#4 ·
Yes to the fungus needing treatment.
Any exterminator company can do this for you and should not be to expencive.
http://nisuscorp.com/builders/products/mold-care
Crawl space or basement?
I'd be figuring out why it's there.
Lack of ventalation, foundation leaking, untreated wood within 16" of grade with no vapor barrier on the ground?
Post some pictures.
I'd be very leary of a home in that shape.

Reactions: de-nagorg
#5 ·
No, I don't want mold

No mud tunnels, however, they are getting soft and deteriorating. there has been a new vapor barrier put down, however, we were told the joists have to be treated to prevent further damage. Is that true?

Its in a crawlspace, and after a week of rain we just had there was no water in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.