Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Sistering ceiling joists for even drywall

My husband and I recently put in a load bearing wall and raised the ceiling joist but we still came up short by an inch from the outer wall to our load bearing wall. We ended up with a sag in the middle but over a month or so it has corrected itself.

I came up with the idea of sistering 2x's along the joists to make a perfectly even ceiling all the way across (furring won't work) to attach drywall. I thought of using string line to run as a measurement but I am stuck on how to do this and how to make sure my string line is exactly even across both ways. ??? Any ideas guys.
dodihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #2

Did you think about a rotary laser level? They aren't hat expensive. Set it at a convenient height and mark a short piece of 2x with the offset to the final joist height. Set the mark on the laser line, then set your joist in place on top. You will probably need an A-frame to set and hold the joist in place.

The problem with string is it is easy to accidently stretch the string out of shape if the sistered joist rests on it. If you use string method, then set a level string about every 4 ft.

I do have one question, why do you think the 2x you sister to the joist will be any straighter then the joist?
Good Luck, the toughest part of the job is enduring the responses this line will draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodihere View Post
My husband and I recently put in a load bearing wall ... We ended up with a sag in the middle but over a month or so it has corrected itself.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
Did you think about a rotary laser level? They aren't hat expensive. Set it at a convenient height and mark a short piece of 2x with the offset to the final joist height. Set the mark on the laser line, then set your joist in place on top. You will probably need an A-frame to set and hold the joist in place.

The problem with string is it is easy to accidently stretch the string out of shape if the sistered joist rests on it. If you use string method, then set a level string about every 4 ft.

I do have one question, why do you think the 2x you sister to the joist will be any straighter then the joist?
Good Luck, the toughest part of the job is enduring the responses this line will draw.
Even floor to ceiling height is what I am looking for. Bringing down the 2x on one end is what I am hoping to do so when I hang drywall it will be even.

I hope the responses aren't too bad, I did come here for help, not to be attacked.
dodihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Sistering with 2x material is done all the time, just make sure you check for crowns and straitness. However i'm not really sure what was short of what with your new wall and where your "sag" was. I sure hope there is proper support under your new wall.

The rotary laser level idea is a good one.

Last edited by chrisBC; 07-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #5

Can you post some pics and explain your situation?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Not saying this is the case here, but do people start threads with fictitious problems just to get everyone wound up? To the (OP) what was short? If you put in a load bearing wall and you come up short than it isn't bearing anything at the moment. I'm confused......
1921MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1921MoneyPit For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-03-2012)