Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sister jointing

Hi I have a 2x10x12 foot beam that I need to sister joint because of a crack. I bought a 2x10x8 to do the job but for some reason the new wood is 1 inch wider messures a little over 10 inches and my old beam is almost 9 in a half , I cant use it unless I cut it down, is it possible to use a 2x8x8 instead? I will loose about 2 inches on it, my beams are 16 inches apart and the only wait on them is the roof with concrete shingles valted sealing

thanks

Monello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Sister jointing

Sounds like you got a 2x12 instead of a 2x10. No way is a 2x10 bigger than 10 inches. It should be 9 1/2 inches.

Monello1 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Sister jointing

Well a 8 is to small and a 10 is to big so do I need to cut the 10 down or can I just use a 8

thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Sister jointing

sorry cant find the forum
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

Sister jointing

If I understand you correctly; you have a cracked 2 X 10 roof rafter that has sheathing and concrete roof tiles and drywall on the underside. It is always best to sister the full length of the rafter but if you have determined sistering 8' of it is adequate, rip the full length to the needed dimension, e.g. 9 1/2", then nail and through bolt it to the cracked rafter. Put a string alongside the existing rafters and determine how much they have sagged, try to have your sistered rafter end up the same. If I do not have a correct understanding of the situation you may wish to post a photo. good luck.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Sister jointing

Your post is a little confusing, but let me see if I get it. You have an existing 2x10 beam (joist perhaps?) that is 12 feet long, and cracked. You want to strengthen the joist by sistering another joist to it. The existing joist is about 9-1/2 inches deep, which is typical for a dressed 2x10. You thought you purchased a new 2x10, however it is a bit over 10 inches deep, which is not standard for any dressed lumber in the U.S. Then again, you could be in Zanzibar for all I know.

So you want to know what to do. I would cut the board down to size, as has been suggested. If you do not have a saw, take it to a lumber yard and have them rip it to width. If you do not want to do that, you can certainly use a conventional 2x10, just make sure you measure it first, since it sounds like your lumberyard carries out sized lumber, else your tape measure is broken.

Sistering beams and joists has been discussed repeatedly on this forum, do a search, there are lots of good ideas on how to fasten the lumber together.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote