Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #1

Share |

sister joining rafters

HI I joined some rafters together with bolts and thick screws and im wondering if it would hold, does any one have a clue they are 2x10x7 and i attached them to my existing rafters that come out of the house 4ft im extending my room
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88196931@N06/
thanks

Monello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

sister joining rafters

Perhaps you can back up and explain exactly what it is you are hoping to accomplish with the rafters. From the photos it looks like you sistered about a four foot section of new rafter onto the existing rafter on the ends. There must have been a specific reason you did this, the more carefully you explain what you did and why the easier it will be to analyze if your project is likely to be successful.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

sister joining rafters

Do the new rafters go on top of the top plate as well?
Do they have a wall under them on the far side, or are they just cantilevered out?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

sister joining rafters

If one would click on a picture, 10 total will show the big picture. You only needed (nails) fastening the two rafters side-by-side, per code, not bolts or screws as they bear on a wall there (though you do need solid blocking to prevent rotation). So long as you are not thinking about removing same wall... Remember to cut ventilation notches (or screened holes) in the blocking if using passive roof ventilation. Don't forget the rafter up-lift prevention hardware, and your location would help.

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!