Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #1

Share |

Siplate replacement.. Splicing sections together?

Hello,
I will be replacing the sill plate on the side of a 2 story home. 1880's construction. 34 ft side. We plan to lift the side from the exterior and replace the non existent sill.

The longest PT 4x6 i can get is 16ft. How should the pieces meet? Would my best approach be to nail the ends together, let them just sit next to each other, use metal plate to bolt them together, or cut splices about 24" and bolt the overlap? Or is that not necessary?

slowjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #2

Scarf joints would be my choice, cut them before you slide them under, then match them up.

How are your going to raise the house from the outside???? Go gently, you only need it up(+1/8-1/4") far enoough to get the new sill in place.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Sills down here are usually 4/6 x 12/16 so I use standard cut 2 x 12's or there is one place here I can get 2 x 16's. I use staggered joints and try to make them work out for the joint to be in the middle of the board beside it. I also use lag bolts on 24" centers to join the two or three boards together. I don't use PT. Down here PT shrinks so bad it may warp the house as it shrinks. A properly installed exterior covering should never allow a sill to get wet. But we know- - Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I will be using a header screwed to the studs (2 story 1881 balloon frame) with 1/2 lags on the 2nd floor level and 4x4 posts/20ton jacks to help raise the house outside in combination with post/hydrolic jacks in the basement. 4x7 sill plate has completely rotted. I am still not sure how I want to go about replacing the sill yet.
slowjo is offline   Reply With Quote