DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   sinkking foundation (

Miller 07-28-2007 10:52 AM

sinkking foundation
House is sinking, on a landfill aera, walls are cracked, what is best for this condition, Helical piers or underpinning? I have a list of contractors to call, but have no money yet, Have to get a loan, thanks , Miller

concretemasonry 07-28-2007 11:16 AM

Don't waste your money on a contractor that really may not be aware of the cause and only wants to sell a "fix" to get a job.

Call and engineer. He will probably want a couple soil borings or hand auger samples.

If you are on a landfill, the soil under your house may be considerably different that others in the neighborhood. A contractors experience of what worked in one place may not apply to your house. With a knowledge of the soil, a proper repair can be determined and it can be done by any qualified contractor.

You may also have a better chance getting a loan with a proper plan than just a simple sketch and no professional back-up.

HiFi 07-28-2007 12:24 PM

YEs Iam sure a contractor is not the answer.Anyway landfill needs to be dealt with specifically
So get an engineer

Miller 07-28-2007 03:24 PM

how do I find and engineer, do you mean a foundation engineer, old lady Miller

skymaster 07-28-2007 04:46 PM

Contact your building dept, get an inspector out there and they will be able to send you in the right direction:yes:

HiFi 07-29-2007 03:08 AM

Get the guy who had basically built the structure he will tell u whom to get to under the circumstance

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1