Sinking Front Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sinking Front Porch

I have 7' x 6' front porch that is slightly elevated. It started to sink in the middle and crack around the edges as well. there are two pillars holding up an awning, but I don't believe they are being supported by the actual cement porch. The right side is about 2in higher than the left due to the sinking effect. I was given an estimate of $1200 to even it out and blend it in as one (I know it's a cheap fix, but I am selling the house). Also included was one small step since the porch may be too high. Is $1200 reasonable or on the high end? Also, the work would be done by tomorrow - and I need it done on short notice.

also, is it worth the time and effort to do it myself? Is it an easy fix?

Advertisement

gpet573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sinking Front Porch

I wouldn't buy a house from you if you had the concrete stoop overlaid with new concrete...It is a band-aid fix that probably won't last, especially since the stoop is settling.

Pouring a new front porch on frost piers is definately a DIY job, but isn't something you'll be able to tackle overnight. Figure $100/yard for concrete, and you'd need about 3-1/2 yards to pour it 12" thick with 4 piers and a step. By the time you buy form materials, rebar, finishing tools, and gravel, you can add about $200. You also would have to tear out the existing stoop and dispose of it.

Overlaying the stoop with more concrete could also be a DIY job I guess. You have to clean the old concrete thoroughly. I'd use diluted muriatic acid after a good power washing to ensure a good bond.

If you're selling the place, why not give the buyer credit toward installing it correctly and save yourself the hassle?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Sinking Front Porch

If the cement evens it out, can't it blend into the original cement porch? The original cement was painted white, which means I would have the new cement painted as well.

I don't want to make it look like 2 pieces of concrete on top of each other, which is why I am hiring someone or doing it myself (if easy). I'd like for it to blend in.
gpet573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Floating in the Gulf

Rewards Points: 25

Sinking Front Porch

Just my two cents... but look around... have you ever seen a cement patch "blend in?" And the last time I saw somone pour concrete on top of concrete, the top layer started to crack literally within days. It may not look good even long enough to sell. And I would imagine that pouring concrete on top of the painted stoop would involve stripping that white paint off first....

I am not a pro or a contractor by far, but if it was my house, I would either A) offer buyers credit to deal with it themselves (as termite suggests), or B) gets some bids on fixing it right, which may be more than you are willing to pay, or may actually not be all that much worse then the "band-aid." One thing I have noticed is that estimates for concrete work can vary quite a bit. But be sure you check references...

Good luck.
krankykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #5

Sinking Front Porch

Just a thought: if you don't identify what caused the sinking/cracking to begin with and fix it, it'll just happen again, not to mention patches don't blend.

And just my morals: I would never ever pass on a 'hidden' problem to some unsuspecting soul (the buyer). Would you want that to happen to you? No.

Do the right thing.
SickPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote