Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

Single run staircase supports?[pics]

going through demo of my basement, getting rid of everything un needed and starting over.

My question is regarding the supports for my single run stair case supports.

Is it true this type of stair case is only suportted from the first floor floor joist and the basement floor it sits on?

If i remove all the remaining joists ( where really dont look supporting, since some of them are resting on a little 1"x3" peice of wood. ) what prevents it from swaying side to side if somebody were to ram into it?

the floor to ceiling peices on the bottom are 3 peices of plywood laminated together, i suppuse it was put there for a DIY banister back in the day.

there was a wall on both sides of the stair case which was removed, there were a few 1x3 peices of wood that i removed. i assume they were there for a nailing edge for the wall.

Any insight on how to properly ensure my basement staircase is supported ?

pics:

Last edited by alecmcmahon; 12-08-2010 at 08:00 PM.
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

what are you trying to do? Give us some more details. Without more details of what you are trying to achieve you will get 100's of different answers.

BTW. I can not be sure because of the resolution but, from the pics it looks like the lollies need to be attached to the beam.

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

I dont have a design plan yet, i just want to eliminate everything that is un nessasary to have a blank canvas.

and what do you mean the lollys arent connected to the beam?they are connected.

just wanna know what, if any, supports are required for this simple basement stair case
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Ok. as I said I cant be sure by the resolution if the lollies are connected or not. So gald to hear they are.

In general from what I can get from the pics you should have blocking behind the top most riser, nested in teh floow joist. Is there a second stair case above this one? if so you need to double up on the floor joists that are to the side of the opening. Then you shoudl build 16" o.c. walls supporting those double down to the slab. If there is no second story. You should have knee walls from the top of the stringer down to the slab.

Just a few thoughts based upon what I can see.
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

Here are some pics of the beam on from the bottom of the staircase, goes from floor to ceiling.

the beam looks like to nice of a wood to be anything supporting.

Single level ranch + basement. no other staircases.