Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Simpson Joist Hangers

I'm framing a small shed (I don't know much about framing, so bear with me!) and I'm wondering whether to use metal joist hangers, or just nail through the rim joist into the joists.

Also, if using the joist hangers, do you nail them on, or just hit those metal tabs into the wood? (The seem pretty short)

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
not a total Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Simpson Joist Hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
I'm framing a small shed (I don't know much about framing, so bear with me!) and I'm wondering whether to use metal joist hangers, or just nail through the rim joist into the joists.

Also, if using the joist hangers, do you nail them on, or just hit those metal tabs into the wood? (The seem pretty short)

If you use them, you use the tabs to "set" the hanger, then use special "joist hanger nails" to attach the hanger to the rim joist. Then, you use longer special "joist hanger nails" to attach the new joist to the hanger.

Actually, now that I google a bit, I think it depends on the type of hanger what length nails you use. If you go to your local hardware store, there will certainly be nails that say "joist hanger" or something like that on them.

Good luck!

space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

Simpson Joist Hangers

Are these overkill, or more trouble than their worth for a small shed?

Any opinions on whether to use them at all?

The Shed (actually a lean-to ADDITION to an existing shed), will be 8x9 (joists running the short dimension).
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

Simpson Joist Hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Are these overkill, or more trouble than their worth for a small shed?

Any opinions on whether to use them at all?

The Shed (actually a lean-to ADDITION to an existing shed), will be 8x9 (joists running the short dimension).
Either way that you do it, will be correct. However, with that said, if you are working alone, it will certainly be easier to use joist hangers. You can attach the hangers and then, drop in the joist.

Overkill, maybe, but easier. This is the name of the game.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #5

Simpson Joist Hangers

I assume that you are referring to the floor. I also assume that you are using Treated lumber since it will be on or slightly above grade.

That being said Hangers are a must. First nail your joists through the rim, THEN add your hangers. I have seen decks that have become abortions because the joist hangers were installed first. Which created huge humps and dips. Treated lumber can vary wildly up to 3/4 of an inch, especially if you buy the lumber from HD, Lowes or Menards.

So, yes use hangers but nail the joist in through the rim first making sure that every thing is flush on top. One nail is good enough to hold them in place until you install the hangers.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Simpson Joist Hangers

Well, I used them, and I don't get lumber from a big box because of the reasons you stated. I actually hung the hardware first, and dropped the joists in, then nailed them, and everything lined up beautifully.