Simple Questions About Deck Stairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Simple Questions About Deck Stairs

I'm used to screwing or nailing treads down, but I've looked around and found some people that bolt them in from underneath using some type of metal hangers. I'd assume it's a preference, what do you guys prefer ? What's easier?

Also, I'm using open stringers so I was wondering if people prefer the treads to sit flush with the stringer, or overhang ? I was thinking of using a notched 4x4 bolted to the stringer on the bottom for my handrail, so I was leaning towards flush.

How would I determine the depth of the fasteners I'll need? I grabbed 5/4 wood that said it was for decking, but it appears that all of the existing wood is 2x6's I believe.

The last question is about connecting the stairs to the deck. I currently have two, one uses two stringers with a 2x6 nailed in between the stringers from each side, that 2x6 is then bolted into the frame of the deck.

The other uses three stringers and has a 2x6 either nailed or screwed (can't see it so I can't tell) into the stringers from the back. That 2x6 is also bolted to the deck.

Should I just use stringers attached directly to hangers on the deck frame?

TIA!

Advertisement

Briandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nails eventually pull loose, screws usually don't. Screwing underneath gives a cleaner finished look. But always use fasteners designed for modern PT chemicals, stainless steel is best.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

My stringers are screwed in from behind the 2x12 frame. They are also nailed on w/ brackets. Might be overkill, but so was the rest of the framing.....

My step overhangs the stringer just a little bit. Check w/ your building department, you might need an overhang, my town has their own weird rule about having to have an overhang.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks. Any other suggestions or expertise would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Bump.