Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Simple lean to shed roof

I am building a simple shed roof with 2x10 joists 32 in. o/c with 2x4 purlins 30 in. o/c covered with 29 ga. galvanized steel roof panels. The joist are 18 ft. long and the posts are spaced 20 ft. apart. What would be the most cost effective material to use for the header beams? I have considered multiple 2x12 joists nailed together to micro lams. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you..

HANKNJAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
STAFF

Simple lean to shed roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANKNJAKE View Post
I am building a simple shed roof with 2x10 joists 32 in. o/c with 2x4 purlins 30 in. o/c covered with 29 ga. galvanized steel roof panels. The joist are 18 ft. long and the posts are spaced 20 ft. apart. What would be the most cost effective material to use for the header beams? I have considered multiple 2x12 joists nailed together to micro lams. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you..
20 foot span is a little far for a header. Is this a shed or living quarters? Where do you live, are there any snow load concerns?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Simple lean to shed roof

It is just a roof covering to keep the weather off stored parts. It is in the Riverside Ca area with no snow and little rain. It will be 120 ft long by 18 ft wide. I am thinking three 2x12's nailed together should be enough to span the distance and carry the light load. What do you think?

Last edited by HANKNJAKE; 05-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
HANKNJAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Simple lean to shed roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANKNJAKE
It is just a roof covering to keep the weather off stored parts. It is in the Riverside Ca area with no snow and little rain. It will be 120 ft long by 18 ft wide. I am thinking three 2x12's nailed together should be enough to span the distance and carry the light load. What do you think?
Doesn't matter what anyone thinks. People here should not be sizing beams for you over the internet or making you feel better about what your thoughts on what size beams you should use. Call your building department or an architect or engineer and ask them.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 05-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Simple lean to shed roof

I agree with Joe Carola, you should contact a professional engineer or architect. I question your rafters based upon span and spacing. No sense spending the money to build something it if won't stay up. worth the money to have a professional design it properly.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Simple lean to shed roof

Even that joist spacing sounds off to me, I would go no more the 24".

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote