Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Simple Gazebo

My dad wants me to build him a simple 10 x 10 gazebo with a 4 sided hip roof. The walls will be half screen and have wood panels or something decorative. Im going to draw up the blueprints in autocad. Im sure of what to use for studs or supports. 2x4, 2x6, or 4x4.

Here is a rough picture of what I want the wall to look like. The vertical supports, should they be 4x4? It will be built out of pressure treated lumber. There will probably be more supports behind the panels as I'll need something to nail to.

Last edited by Hossack; 02-13-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Hossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Simple Gazebo

I assume the screen panels go between the columns of the gazebo?? Each can be screwed to the columns and one with a door. If the columns are turned with a profile, you will need to make some fillers so you have a square surface for mounting.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

Simple Gazebo

I meant to say im unsure of what to use as vertical posts. 2x4, 2x6, or 4x4
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Simple Gazebo

I would use 4x4, aesthetically it will look better and will be more than enough to hold everything up.
TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

Simple Gazebo

Heres my autocad drawing of the walls. It went yellow for some reason when I saved it but that doesn't matter. If anyone thinks I should change anything for structual purpose or for whatever reason please do tell me.

- 3 4x4's for vertical supports
- I want to use 2x4 with dadoes cut in them to install the 1x8's.
- 2x6's at the top to keep everthing together and it should look pretty nice too.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Simple Gazebo

Wall looks sort of okay. A few points

1) Seeing your design I definitely reiterate that 4x4s are the way to go for vertical supports.

2) You really need top plates/bottom plates to hold the sub walls together and provide good support for the roof - - -maybe you just didn't include those in your pictures.

3) 8" wide for balusters is really far, Most are 5-6 inches max. If you are worried about kids a good rule is that if you can fit a pop can between the balusters a kid can get their head in there. A little kid yes. . .but it is what I do for all my interior railings. . . sometimes I go a little farther on the outside ones.
TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

Simple Gazebo

There is no space between the balusters. Its going to be 1x8's all touching eachother, but then it wouldn't measure out to be exactly 8". It would be 7 3/4" I believe. My dad wants it to be bug proof for the most part. And yeah I forgot to include top & bottom plates in my drawing. Thanks for bringing that up though.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Simple Gazebo

6 x 6 's for the posts will be stronger, look better, allow you to install some notches for Braces (which are missing).
What do you plan on making the roof system out of? Trusses or rafters? Are 2 x 6's going to carry the load?
Are you planning to notch those 2 x 4's into the posts? or dado a 2 x 4 as an upright in each panel?
Add some knee braces.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

Simple Gazebo

Are 6x6's really needed? I seen another thread on here with only 4 6x6 posts. Mine will have 3 4x4's on each wall.
The roof system will be made of rafters. Fairly steep as I live in South Eastern Ontario and we can get a fair amount of snow.

I would think 2x6's would be enough to carry the load.

I'm going to include vertical 2x4 wtih a dado for the 1x8s to attach it to the posts, along with nailing each corner of the horizontal 2x4. The 1x8s will be glued and nailed top and bottom also.

Knee braces are a great idea. I should have known better than to forget those.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #10

Simple Gazebo

Can anyone offer any insight on my last post?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Simple Gazebo

Since this is to be bug-proof, I have to assume that you are not going to be building it right on the ground.

First things, first.

What sort of foundation and underpinning sub-structure are you planing? Those uprights should probably be designed to be a contiguous part of the foundation, not just added on as free standing walls.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Simple Gazebo

And honestly do consider building a truly decorative gazebo with six or eight sides or even more. It makes all the difference in the world as far as interior space is concerned... not to mention being so much more esthetically pleasing.

You need to do no more than simply GOOGLE "GAZEBO" and then click 'IMAGES' to see hundreds of beautiful designs.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-16-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #13

Simple Gazebo

I don't care about the look. This is what my dad wants. Hes not looking for anything fancy. It will be sitting on top of our pre-existing deck. The deck is sound and level. It won't be completely bug proof as bugs could get in through the deck boards but that doesn't matter. What would be wrong with just having it sit on the deck and not attached? My main concerns are the structural aspects ofthe design. All it has to do is stand and support the roof. Nothing more.

Here is an updated wall plan. I included the vertical 2x4 with a dado for the balusters. Top & Bottom Plates, Knee Braces and the stuff I already had.

Last edited by Hossack; 02-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Old School

Simple Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossack View Post
I don't care about the look. This is what my dad wants. Hes not looking for anything fancy. It will be sitting on top of our pre-existing deck. The deck is sound and level. It won't be completely bug proof as bugs could get in through the deck boards but that doesn't matter. What would be wrong with just having it sit on the deck and not attached? My main concerns are the structural aspects ofthe design. All it has to do is stand and support the roof. Nothing more.

Here is an updated wall plan. I included the vertical 2x4 with a dado for the balusters. Top & Bottom Plates, Knee Braces and the stuff I already had.

Good thing your AutoCad instructor isn't reading this! If you are going to be even just a drafts-person, let alone a designer or architect, complimentary aesthetics should be one of your primary objectives in any project.

Structurally, you might want to forget the 8" boards, and go with a large sheet of some sort of textured panel. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of beautiful and interesting finishes to choose from. And one solid panel will go a long way toward bracing the whole wall, as opposed to a bunch of little 8" strips.

And I am being serious here........... If it is not an almost instinctive and natural desire to improve (or, "plus") any drawing that comes across your desk, this kind of work may well become very boring to you very quickly. No, you will not be allowed to punch up everything you touch, but the desire to do so should still be trying to burst through onto the screen.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #15

Simple Gazebo

The funny thing is I'm in actually taking Drafting this semester, we don't do a lot of free projects. Its more of he gives us a 3D picture and we have to draw it in the different views. Changing the 8" boards sounds like a good idea. Other than that the wall should be good to go?

I want to go with an equal sided hip roof. Where everything meets to a point at the top. Rafters should be the easiest way of doing this, though im not 100% sure on how to connect everything where it meets to a point.

Last edited by Hossack; 02-16-2010 at 03:43 PM.