Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
DIY Newb

Rewards Points: 10

SilverLine vs Farley vs Vista? Which window?

I am looking to replace the original Andersen windows on my 1960 house. It is a small home (only about 1,000 sq. ft.) I have 5 sliders, 2 awnings, and 1 large picture window (that would end up being 2 double hung and 1 picture in between.) I would be getting vinyl frames for all.

I local company with good reviews has quoted me for the SilverLine 8500 series by Andersen windows. These would include a foam filled frame. Doing some research, there seem to be some mixed reviews, and many are negative. The consensus is that they are a bottom end, cheap window.

Would it be worth paying more and getting Farley or Vista? I couldn't find much information on either of these companies other than Farley appears to be a Canadian company. The company I would be getting them from offers Farley as their "one step up" from the SilverLine, and the Vista are one step up from the Farley.

I just bought this home last year, so I am looking for windows that will last ~20 years, but know that I won't be able to afford the best (and the best not might be worth it for my small home.)

Any help is appreciated

On a related note, the company offers a Life of the Home warranty in which all repairs are covered for free (including labor.)

Last edited by z33tec; 03-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
z33tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 536

SilverLine vs Farley vs Vista? Which window?

Here are better choices: Great Lakes/Plygem, Sunrise, Softlite, Gorell. When you compare windows, don't only look at u-values, the design pressure rating and air infiltration rating are very important in telling you how the window will perform in years to come. The u-value is obviously important, but isn't as much of an indicator of quality like the DP and AI ratings.