Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Share |

Silly Insulation Question

Hello all. Have found answers to most questions I have here searching, but not this one, maybe it's too simplistic.
I'm renovating a 1982 house, about to put new drywall on an exterior wall that has R11 batts, which are fine. There are a few places where the studs are only 6-8 inches or so apart, near the corners, windows, etc. In these places there is just loose fiberglas stuffed in. Is there a better way to insulate these small areas? With some expanding foam or something similar? Or should I just not worry about it and leave the stuff that is there? Trying to get everything as tight and warm as I can.

The walls are 2x4 with sheathing and cedar lap siding and in the Atlanta area if it matters.

JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
the Musigician

Hi Joe... if you can AFFORD it, I think sprayed in foam is always the best way to insulate most areas.

DM

Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks DM. I guess what I wanted to ask for these small areas would using a couple of cans of the expanding spray make sense, or be a waste of money?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
the Musigician

Not a waste.... but I'd advise using the blue cans if you use GSF.
They expand less as they set..... you don't want TOO much pressure as it sets, it could bow walls.

DM
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

R11 isn't much insulation. You must have 2x4 walls. What concerns me is that there is an inadequate vapor barrier. Before you put the drywall up, make several cuts in the insulation's face paper and then put a continuous sheet of 6mil poly over it. Install the drywall and cut the plastic where it overlaps the windows afterwards
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

They are indeed 2x4 walls. I assume I could get R13 in there, but most likely wouldn't be worth the cost?

I can put the plastic up. I plan to re-side the house in a year or so, would it be better to wait and wrap the outside? Will the plastic on the inside have any effect then? Thanks.