Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Share |

Sill rotten on a mobile home!

ok the mobile home was given to me by my mom. its 26yrs old. we are totally redoing all the floors except kitchen and it was redone last year. we are pulling the presswood out and replacing it with Advantech 3/4 inch. my major problem is the entire sill on the back side the trailer is gone! the end one so far looks good... how do I replace it... we have the siding pulled back and under pinning down... on the other side the trailer is a building attached to it that has a top do not know about that sill yet. can these be replaced... help need advice... I will try to upload pics in the morning.... I have a small budget... so I can't afford to hire someone expensive.

helloitsme21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

Going to need that picture.
It's not looking good for you one this one.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

Are the studs good?
How about the joists under this sill?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #4

so far the joist going across haven't been that bad... the studs in the one place that I thought it would be bad bc the sill was gone, the stud was fine... there is a few joist that I am going to sister a joist beside it bc it is showing signs of beginning to get a little weak but still sound. Pics will come some time today....
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

here are the Pics I promised
Attached Thumbnails
Sill rotten on a mobile home!-house.jpg   Sill rotten on a mobile home!-mms_img37188.jpg   Sill rotten on a mobile home!-mms_img37192.jpg   Sill rotten on a mobile home!-mms_img37200.jpg   Sill rotten on a mobile home!-mms_img37204.jpg  

Sill rotten on a mobile home!-mms_img37218.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

By small budget you mean like say $100,000.00?
Should not take that much. Basically - carefully take of the siding, temporary support roof as needed, cut out rotted areas, put in new stuff, put on house wrap, put siding back on.

Is there no sheeting on that? Just the metal on the studs?
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
helloitsme21 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

By small budget you mean like say $100,000.00? No More Like 3,000.

Should not take that much. Basically - carefully take of the siding, temporary support roof as needed, cut out rotted areas, put in new stuff, put on house wrap, put siding back on. How do I support the roof?

Is there no sheeting on that? Just the metal on the studs? No Sheeting ... its just metal Siding, Suds, insulation, and paneling.

Next Questions

How to prevent this from happening again?
How can I insulate the flooring without replacing the plastic... What about installing the Ridged Foam Board down under the Advantech?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

anyone?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

Insulating the floor would probably be similar to insulating a dirt floor crawl space. I would probably consider trying to house wrap the underside also, following the contours, then use the wire hangers to suspend fiberglass bats between the joists. Finally i would lay a thick plastic on the ground underneath as a vapor barrier to control the moisture coming out of the ground. The problem I could see with rigid foam is that it will trap any moisture between the floor boards and the foam and encourage the floor boards to rot again.
As fat as the construction and repair stuff, I'm going to leave that to someone else, unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable in that stuff.
ffemt121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #10

This is out of my area of expertise.
I thought I once saw a forum for mobile homes?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsme21 View Post
By small budget you mean like say $100,000.00? No More Like 3,000.

Should not take that much. Basically - carefully take of the siding, temporary support roof as needed, cut out rotted areas, put in new stuff, put on house wrap, put siding back on. How do I support the roof?

Is there no sheeting on that? Just the metal on the studs? No Sheeting ... its just metal Siding, Suds, insulation, and paneling.

Next Questions

How to prevent this from happening again?
How can I insulate the flooring without replacing the plastic... What about installing the Ridged Foam Board down under the Advantech?

Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.K3iyU9vTNYQ
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #12

I've looked at videos and none of them show what I need... I know how to rip out floors but I don't know what I need to do to replace that sill.. we have removed the floor already so right now there is no sill and floor joist r just hanging there.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

This sill you are talking about where is it supposed to be.
Bottom plate on wall?
Rim joist on end of joists? Or maybe those metal straps go down over end of joists and no rim joist?
There is no foundation? It is just on blocking?
When I hear sill I think of a 2x6 (or wider) on top of a concrete wall that the floor joists sit on. sorta like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

I think you're talking about your Rim Joist. The outside joist of your floor framing ( the other joists connect to ). It looks like a 2x6 (1 1/2" X 5 1/2" ). You're so close to the ground that it should be treated (pressure treated wood). They usually break on center of a joist.

if I'm right let us know, there's some other stuff you'll need to know,
tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #15

OP, can you take some additional pictures from the distance so that we can see how your mobile home is positioned in relation to the surrounding dirt (sitting on a hill/grade, on a dip, etc.)

I do not think it is a good idea to lay down plastic barriers on the ground without first understanding how rain and ground water will be managed (don't want a pool of stale water under my home to attract animals and be a mosquito breeding ground!).

I would also stop remodeling the rest of the home until you can get this foundation and floor joist/rim band issue squared away first

When you look around the perimeter of your home, can you describe how it is resting on the ground? Is the mobile home sitting on cinder blocks in certain places, or do your floor joists make direct contact?

I am not a bug expert but some of those wood particles seems like you had termite issues so you may have to address that problem as well.

Post back and let us know?

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allthumbsdiy For This Useful Post:
notmrjohn (09-27-2012)