Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Sill Plate size

I'm building up after tearing down the sunroom on my house. I've filled the cells in the block foundation and in the next couple of days I'll be ready to start building. The sill plate I pulled out was 4x8, I was planning to replace with 4x8 PT. Unfortunately, 4x8 PT is unavailable. I'd like to keep the bearing surfaces the same throughout the house, so I don't have to build some wanky support posts.
My options are 4x6 PT, 2-2x8 + 1/2" ply, or maybe I don't need to match the level of the existing sill and just use 1-2x8 PT.
What's my best choice?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Sill Plate size

Are your floor joists bearing directly on the sill plate or is something else going on? If the joists are bearing right on it, I'd consider just doubling a 2x8 and bolting it down, and making up the 1/2" thickness on top of the floor joists with 1/2" plywood strips or even the addition of 1/2" plywood or OSB sheathing to the 3/4".

I remember wondering where on earth you were going to get 4x8 when you posted the question about overlapping the corners and anchor bolts. Figured you had it covered.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
I have gas!

Sill Plate size

Thanks kc, there's nothing else going on, joists are directly on the sill plate. My biggest concern for wanting to keep the same dimensions as existing sill is when I build the support posts, I would have to accommodate the difference in thickness between the basement girder and the new sill.

Also, HD doesn't stock a .6 PT product for concrete contact, they only go to .4 for ground contact. Is .6 PT a regular stocked lumberyard product. I know, I know, use a real lumberyard, but HD has store hours more conducive to homeowners.

I got a bit delayed when I found discovered a broken block.

I found 4x8 PT listed on several lumberyard websites so I didn't think it would be hard to find. I don't know if it ever was a stocked item but now it's special order.
Attached Thumbnails
Sill Plate size-cinderblock1.jpg  

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-13-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Sill Plate size

.4 is for concrete contact, .6 is for direct burial. ".4" represents .40 pounds of treatment per cubic foot of wood. .6 is better...Use it with confidence.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

Sill Plate size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Thanks kc, there's nothing else going on, joists are directly on the sill plate. My biggest concern for wanting to keep the same dimensions as existing sill is when I build the support posts, I would have to accommodate the difference in thickness between the basement girder and the new sill.

Also, HD doesn't stock a .6 PT product for concrete contact, they only go to .4 for ground contact. Is .6 PT a regular stocked lumberyard product. I know, I know, use a real lumberyard, but HD has store hours more conducive to homeowners.

I got a bit delayed when I found discovered a broken block.

I found 4x8 PT listed on several lumberyard websites so I didn't think it would be hard to find. I don't know if it ever was a stocked item but now it's special order.
You should be using a sill seal over the block and not resting the wood directly on the cement surfaces. It's a foam product about 1/4" thick that comes in rolls. It will also fill gaps in an uneven foundation wall.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
I have gas!

Sill Plate size

Took a few phone calls but my local LY found 4x8 PT. A bit pricey but construction is a lot easier when everything is on the same plane.