Sill Plate Replacement ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sill plate replacement ?

Hi there everyone in DIY land I'm a newbie to the site just joined today. I'm a truck driver/ musician not super handy but enjoy learning something new every day. In the process of trying to sell my house. I found out through a home inspection that the house has to have the sill plate replaced (fixed). That is what brought me to this site. I was seeking information on the level of difficulty, approximate cost (I realize that can vary widely) , and approx. time to do the job. If there is anyone out there who could help me with this information it would be greatly appreciated! I realize that this project will probably need to be done by a certified contractor as it is tied in with a home inspection. I am also busy seeking out estimates and quotes. I don't really know how I will retrieve this information ,as I still have to a grip on how to navigate this site. Thanks truckerpete......My location is Pefferlaw Ont. a small rural town about 1hr north of Toronto Canada.

Hi there everyone in DIY land I'm a newbie to the site just joined today. I'm a truck driver/ musician not super handy but enjoy learning something new every day. In the process of trying to sell my house. I found out through a home inspection that the house has to have the sill plate replaced (fixed). That is what brought me to this site. I was seeking information on the level of difficulty, approximate cost (I realize that can vary widely) , and approx. time to do the job. If there is anyone out there who could help me with this information it would be greatly appreciated! I realize that this project will probably need to be done by a certified contractor as it is tied in with a home inspection. I am also busy seeking out estimates and quotes. I don't really know how I will retrieve this information ,as I still have to a grip on how to navigate this site. Thanks truckerpete

Thanks for that brother moving my last post to the most appropriate area (page), like you read in my introduction I've still got to learn my way around, thanks again DM talk to you later!

Thanks for that , I could see how that could become a problem as it seems that there are quite a few different jurisdictions enrolled on this site. I do appreciate the help as I am a newbie (just today) , and am still learning the site and it's online etiquette.

Advertisement

truckerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Sill plate replacement ?

If you could get some more info that will help you get more answers, and pictures are always the best.
A rotten sill could mean a few hours job, or over $10K.
Most of these websites get a little weird talking about money, so maybe the moderator could brief us on DIY Chatroom's policy or tell us where on the site find the official explanation. (I didn't see it in FAQs.)

Advertisement

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Sill plate replacement ?

Did the inspector give you an idea on how the sill plate was damaged in the first place? Because if you have moisture problems, those will need to be corrected along with replacing the sill plate. How much damage? The entire plate? Just a small section?

Replaced a porch on my old house and after the old porch was demo'd, we realized that the sill plate was completely rotted away due to moisture and carpenter ants. We didnt realize that it was damaged when deciding to put a new porch on.

To repair the damage, which included jacking up the house a few inches and replacing about 30 feet of the sill and mud plates(which were almost sawdust by then) cost us an extra 2k onto the cost of the project. Each situation is different so this info may or may not even be close to the situation your dealing with. Hopefully it gives you an idea though.

Welcome to the boards
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sill plate replacement ?

Replacing a sill plate is quite a bit of work
Is it the entire sill...just one area ?

This site is geared towards DIY, not cost estimates
You really need people to see the actual problem to give you an estimate
Cost will depend upon the area to be repaired, weight of house, difficulty in the task, & going rates in your area
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sill plate replacement ?

As other posters have noted, pictures are worth a thousand words.
We need to know how the house is constructed. Is it a wood-frame building with some sort of siding? Or is it a brick veneer?
Is it a full basement or a crawl space? And what is above it? The sill plate needs to be anchored to the foundation in some way. Maybe special steel brackets would need to be fabricated to allow this!
The ideal situation would be a wood-frame house with a full basement and access to the sill from the outside!
Anything else, will run up the tab!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote