Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Sill Plate Question

Howdy my name is Colby,

I'm a College Student who is currently studying Building Construction Technology. Anyways my class is currently working on this family housing unit at our college. This housing unit isn't in great shape but I'm pretty sure it can be fixed. Anyways the sub floor is rotted out because the of water damage, we think that a pipe under the floor got a leak and because residents who live in the family housing units don't pay a water bill for some reason, no one noticed for a while ( when we talked about how long it was exposed to water or moisture in class we came up with the estimate of 1-2 years exposure time). Some floor joists need to be replaced. But whats really got me in a pickle is I think the sill plate needs to be replaced but I'm unsure how I should go about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Colby

Last edited by Colby; 02-17-2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Wanted to provide more detail on the problem
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Sill Plate Question

you need to get access to view the damage. An rotted material should be removed. If a section is to be replaced it can be cut out with a sawsall and a new piece of pressure treated lumber can be used. jacks are used to relieve the pressure for this replacement. If the damage is minor, remove the bad parts and use wood epoxy to repair it so the rot will not continue to effect surrounding wood fibers.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

Smile

Sill Plate Question

Howdy Bob, thanks for your replying to my post, I think the damage is minor but I'll be able to make sure today because I think that we'll be going to go see the house again today. Where do I put the jack to jack it up ? I'll take some photos today and post them after class today. Thanks again for your help. : - )
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Sill Plate Question

If you have access from beneath the sill, this would be the easiest. Just jack the joist area over the rotted sill. If you need to do it from the outside, remove siding about 2 feet above the sill. Lag bolt a 2 X 4 across two studs above the replacement sill. Then another 2X4 cleat (stud) about one foot from the foundation tied secured the best you can to prevent it from sliding. Now you can jack against the top stud enough to replace the rotted sill piece. Seal all gaps with spray foam and caulking.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Sill Plate Question

Thanks for replying again Bob : - )

I got a chance to go see the house again today and I took pictures with my phone because I forgot to bring my camera and I'm going to try and figure out if I can get those on the computer. The sill plate is in a lot better shape than I originally thought but it's still going to replaced in some sections. Where it needs to be replaced I'm going to take your advice. We went over to the house and worked on getting all the rotten wood from the sub-floor out. Some joist will have to be replaced but its not as bad in general as I thought it would be. Thanks again for all your help.

Sincerely

Colby

Tags
replacing sill plate, sill, sill plate