Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Siding on utility building

Hello all,

I bought a house almost 2 years ago, and it's definitely a fixer-upper! I've managed most of the interior work with relatively few curse words, but now I need a bit of help.

For whatever inexplicable reasons, the previous owners built a sturdy and very large utility building (12.5' W x 16.5' L x 14' H at the gables) and then applied plain OSB sheathing (or particle board as my dad would say) as siding. It was painted but it has definitely NOT held up well over the years! It's well past grey, crumbling in areas and providing a lovely buffet for some type of critters in other places. The building still seems pretty sturdy for the most part at the moment but I'm afraid that it's only a matter of time until that changes unless we do something now.

However, money always being an issue and an especially big one in this economy, I'm trying to do good work that will last on a budget. I've found the deal of a lifetime on hemlock beveled wood siding at a local lumber yard and the ~600 sf of siding for my building would be less than $200. That's far, far cheaper than plain T1-11 plywood ($300 less). I would also need to replace all of the exterior trim (at the corners, around the door, soffits, etc) as they were untreated wood. So, here are my questions to all of you wonderful DIYers:
  1. Do I have to remove all of the old OSB from the building first? (There is at least one layer of some type of plywood underneath the OSB.) Or could I simply apply the siding over it?
  2. Should I use home wrap or roofers felt to further waterproof the building?
  3. Is this project realistic for a relatively handy person or should I try to find the money to have it professionally installed instead? (My dad worked in furniture for 50+ years so I've grown up with power tools and wood working, but neither of us has even though about doing siding work.)
  4. The siding is well dried but still raw lumber. Any recommendations on sealers that would work well with hemlock siding?
  5. Any advice on how to do this with only 2 people? Or should I just pay/ blackmail a friend to help?
  6. Finally (for now!), a very large groundhog that I've named Bill Murrary is living under our shed. I don't really mind so much as I'm a live and let live type, but my husband really wants Bill Murray gone. He's afraid that he'll eat all of our garden/ my landscaping or that he'll try to attack our cat (who is supposed to be a house cat but has escaped once or twice. Leo thinks he's a big scary king of the jungle, but in reality he's 9 lbs of floof and Bill Murrary looks to weigh 20-25 pounds). I'd rather not let my husband go for lethal methods but trapping is out as we would have no way to transport him as we both have small cars. Any non-lethal suggestions? Or must I let the hubby borrow my .357?
We live in the mountains of North Carolina and we usually get a decent amount of snow each winter, around 3 feet or so annually on average (but single events with 2-3 feet aren't terribly unusual). We don't have the same hot, humid climate as the rest of the south. Our climate here resembles weather in the northeast more than the typical southern weather.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I appreciate any advice you can share with me. If you need any additional info, just let me know.

Thanks,
Angela

Angela3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Angela, post some photos. OSB and flakeboard are 2 different materials. You would never use flakeboard in an exterior application. If it is flakeboard, it should be removed.
Covering up damaged building materials is never a good idea.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You could realistically do this yourselves, get rid of the old OSB, you said there is a layer of ply under the OSB?
Keep that if it is in good condition and is rated as exterior grade. Put your grade "d" paper over that, two layers if you could, then nail a 1/2" thick by 1.5" wide pressure treated furring to the ply directly over the studs so that the you are nailing into the studs as well.
Pre-prime your siding on the back (two coats) and front, apply your new corner boards and trim and such and paint.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Hi, attached are two pictures of the building- the whole building and then a close up of the siding. Hopefully this will work!

There is a layer of plywood underneath. As best we can tell from looking on the inside, there is minimal water damage to it. It seems (could be different once we start popping the OSB off) to be in pretty good shape considering it's 20+ years old.

Thanks,
Angela
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,040

Just a conjecture -
get rid of the "stuff" on the outside - side it with something you like - take a look at the roof!!
Regards!
rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Just a conjecture -
get rid of the "stuff" on the outside - side it with something you like - take a look at the roof!!
Regards!
rossfingal
Hi Ross,

I've found a fantastic deal on solid hemlock siding, which is beveled at 8" high by 14' long. But before I haul all 600 board feet of it here, I wanted to get some advice on what I need to do and whether it's realistic for me to put it up!

I know the roof needs work too. The house has a new metal roof and I'm hoping to save up to install the same on the out building. The roof just seems to be in (slightly) better shape than the siding at this point!

Tags
shed, siding