Siding Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 77

Siding Questions

I am going to attempt residing my house. It looks simple enough, just more tedious than difficult. I have two questions however.

1) when I take off the existing siding I wind up pulling off some of the Clapboard underneath. It is better to replace the clapboard or go ahead and strip right down to the sheathing for a smoother working surface? The latter seems to make sense to me.

2) I am attaching the siding with nails spaced as recommended. Is it necessary or required by code that the nails go though the sheathing into a wall stud?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Siding Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rze View Post
I am going to attempt residing my house. It looks simple enough, just more tedious than difficult. I have two questions however.

1) when I take off the existing siding I wind up pulling off some of the Clapboard underneath. It is better to replace the clapboard or go ahead and strip right down to the sheathing for a smoother working surface? The latter seems to make sense to me.

2) I am attaching the siding with nails spaced as recommended. Is it necessary or required by code that the nails go though the sheathing into a wall stud?

Thanks!

Your questions:
#1.) Can't answer that question properly until I know the answers to the questions below (A & B)
#2) Yes..in the studs.

....Before anything else,
I need to ask:

A.) Why are you re-siding your home?
B.) What new material or materials are you re-siding with?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 77

Siding Questions

Thanks for replying.

As far as why I am residing it is because the existing siding is over 20 years old and they did a poor installation job. I did one small section in the back where I removed the clapboard all together (stripped down to the sheathing.) Then I wrapped in tyvek, covered the tyvek with 1/2 inch foam insulation board taped at the seams. Siding on top of that.

Rze
Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Siding Questions

Yes take clapboards off so your down to the sheating. NOW I COULD BE MISTAKEN AND ONE OF THE GUYS WILL STRAIGHTEN ME OUT IF I AM BUT I THOUGHT THE INSULATION GOES ON FIRST THEN THE TYVEK.
I thought i read that here a while back but i COULD BE WRONG.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Siding Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Yes take clapboards off so your down to the sheating. NOW I COULD BE MISTAKEN AND ONE OF THE GUYS WILL STRAIGHTEN ME OUT IF I AM BUT I THOUGHT THE INSULATION GOES ON FIRST THEN THE TYVEK.
I thought i read that here a while back but i COULD BE WRONG.
Actually, the Tyvek (or any brand of 'house wrap') goes on first, then the foam insulation on top of that. The Foam insulation also serves as a 'backerboard' and flat surface (over the old clapboard siding) ...to install the vinyl siding over (This helps the vinyl to lay flat and not look wavy)
The issue here is with all the layers (Old clapboard, foam, new vinyl)... the design of the trim components on your home (especially the rake boards) May not sit out far enough to cover the new siding components...

Some people rip off the old siding, this is the best to do IMHO.

However, in an effort to save money and not have to spend for the removal labor costs of the old clapboard siding and the disposal of it, some people just go over the old siding...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-09-2006 at 07:09 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Siding Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Actually, the Tyvek (or any brand of 'house wrap') goes on first, then the foam insulation on top of that. The Foam insulation also serves as a 'backerboard' and flat surface (over the old clapboard siding) ...to install the vinyl siding over (This helps the vinyl to lay flat and not look wavy)
The issue here is with all the layers (Old clapboard, foam, new vinyl)... the design of the trim components on your home (especially the rake boards) May not sit out far enough to cover the new siding components...

Some people rip off to the sheathing, this is the best to do IMHO.

However, in an effort to save money and not have to spend for the removal labor costs of the old clapboard siding and the disposal of it, some people just go over the old siding...
When my house was vinyl last year i had the carpenter take it down to plywood then wrap with house wrap then vinyl. I didn't go with the insulation. He said that wasn't necessary. He said thats used if you leave the clapboards on but he doesn't like to install vinyl like that because the windows will look sucken in. It added to the cost but it looks better then the other houses around me because there windows look sucken in.

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote