Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Siding Question

I currently have Cedar Shake Shingle siding which has been tested to have lead paint. Which way would you correct this?

1: Lay insulation board over current shingles, then install vinyl siding.

2: Tear the shingles off, add thicker insulation board and then install vinyl siding.

I want the best insulation, soundproofing, and durability from the job. Hours it takes, money it costs, stuff like that doesn't matter. If you have an alternative suggestion I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Talorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Residential Remodeler

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorin View Post
I currently have Cedar Shake Shingle siding which has been tested to have lead paint. Which way would you correct this?

1: Lay insulation board over current shingles, then install vinyl siding.

2: Tear the shingles off, add thicker insulation board and then install vinyl siding.

I want the best insulation, soundproofing, and durability from the job. Hours it takes, money it costs, stuff like that doesn't matter. If you have an alternative suggestion I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
#2 without a doubt, especially if time and money is of no concern.

This way allows you to see the substrate, make any repairs, upgrade exterior insulation, housewrap, etc. Plus you are not hanging vinyl siding with nails that are barely penetrating old cedar shakes.

CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #3

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
#2 without a doubt, especially if time and money is of no concern.

This way allows you to see the substrate, make any repairs, upgrade exterior insulation, housewrap, etc. Plus you are not hanging vinyl siding with nails that are barely penetrating old cedar shakes.
Sounds good to me, thank you for your input. That is the route I will pursue.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Siding Question

Plus the insulation will be much more effective without the air gaps caused by the cedar shakes. Use some caution removing the shakes. Don't breath any flaking paint dust while you remove them.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Plus the insulation will be much more effective without the air gaps caused by the cedar shakes. Use some caution removing the shakes. Don't breath any flaking paint dust while you remove them.
Thanks for the input. I plan on taking my time with the project.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

Siding Question

If there are any windows that need replacing, time to do it is before you reside
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Siding Question

I used to be state certified in lead abatement (Minnesota) and this is my advice to you:

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Lead is extremely toxic. Working around lead without the proper training, protective gear and without proper site preparation can severly damage your health. Not to mention the fact that if you do this work without taking proper precautions, and later sell this home, you could be opening yourself up to a lawsuit should anyone become sick from lead poisoning.

The best solution for dealing with lead 90% of the time is to leave it in place, properly encapsulate the surface, and cover it up with a new product.

Before you start any work on this project, contact your local inspector and ask him about your states requirements for dealing with lead. Trust me, your safety and the well being of your family may depend on it.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #8

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisert View Post
I used to be state certified in lead abatement (Minnesota) and this is my advice to you:

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Lead is extremely toxic. Working around lead without the proper training, protective gear and without proper site preparation can severly damage your health. Not to mention the fact that if you do this work without taking proper precautions, and later sell this home, you could be opening yourself up to a lawsuit should anyone become sick from lead poisoning.

The best solution for dealing with lead 90% of the time is to leave it in place, properly encapsulate the surface, and cover it up with a new product.

Before you start any work on this project, contact your local inspector and ask him about your states requirements for dealing with lead. Trust me, your safety and the well being of your family may depend on it.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will try and get some more information before proceeding. No rush here.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #9

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If there are any windows that need replacing, time to do it is before you reside
Yeah, I already live in the house, and am likely sub contracting out the window job so it could be done faster than I could do it myself.