Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Siding Question

I am planning to replace the brick on the front of my house with a manufactured stone product. I have a poured concrete foundation and the brick is sitting on top of it so that the face of the brick is flush with the face of the foundation. In order to have the manufactured stone come out flush with the face of the foundation so I can install the stone on the face of the foundation too, I am going to have to fur out the front wall by a couple of inches. My question is - what would be the best way to do that?
The other consideration I have is my house is almost 50 years old and by today's standards, is not well insulated. I was thinking of using a layer of XPS foam & felt paper on top of the current sheathing but I am concerned about the suitability of installing the manufactured stone on top of that combination, specifically would it be sturdy enough? For clarification, the manufactured stone installs on a screen mesh and does not need a stone ledge like the brick.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Greg~

Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Siding Question

May want to talk this over with the company that makes the wall system your dealing with instead of us just guessing at this.
Just as a laymen I can see doing what your trying to do turning out to be a royal pain.
Just trying to trim out around the windows and doors will be a challange because your wall is already built out with the brick. adding another layer of stone, the scratch coat and foam insulation you will end up with a really thick wall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Siding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
May want to talk this over with the company that makes the wall system your dealing with instead of us just guessing at this.
Just as a laymen I can see doing what your trying to do turning out to be a royal pain.
Just trying to trim out around the windows and doors will be a challange because your wall is already built out with the brick. adding another layer of stone, the scratch coat and foam insulation you will end up with a really thick wall.
Joe,

This isn't a race to reach a certain post count here. Slow down and READ the entire post before giving advise PLEASE. Normally, I wouldn't mention a word about it, but I see a large amount of threads going way off topic because subsequent posters confuse the heck out of the thread. To be honest, it gets fairly frustrating when folks don't have a legitamate answer, yet they feel the need to answer (or post) anyways.

Now, lets get to the issue. If you read it again, it's clear the OP want's to take the brick off of the house first, thus the concern about how to get it built back out to the ledge.

The first thing I would consider would be to leave the brick on and adhere directly to it, as long as it is in sound shape.

If you really want to take it off to add insulation, you can certainly fur it our and insulate in between the studs/furring strips. I would not recommend attempting to build the 3.5 to 4" out with only insulation, and then trying to anchor to the existing studs. 1" to 1.5" is possible, but anymore really becomes an issue.

Realize that in "padding" the stone out, you will need alot more corners for the project, including returns at the window jambs. I've done this in the past, as it looks more realistic anyways, but it's certainly more work & more complicated.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

Siding Question

What don't you like about the brick?

If you have foundation showing, why not bring the grade up?

If you must lose the brick veneer, would you consider a stone veneer to take the place of the brick?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Siding Question

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. It's not an issue of just not liking the brick (although I don't) the issue is that it is a "used" brick that was never sealed over the years and therefore is crumbling in many places; after a good rain there is literally red dust and debris on the ground from it spawling/crumbling. Additionally, the mortar appears to be original too (50 years old) and is unstable in areas. So much so that I would not be comfortable putting the new stone over the top of it. So, the old brick will have to come off before the new stone goes up.

Regarding the stone returns - there is only one large picture/bay window in the area that I need to fur out so I won't need any returns there. I am going to replace the siding around the bay before the new stone goes up. The only place that I will need the stone returns will be around the front door.

Thanks again for giving this some thought.

Greg~
Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Siding Question

Sounds like you're making the right choice by removing the brick rather than going over it. Obviously, deteriorated brick don't make a good base substrate for cultured stone.

I would likely start by furring the walls out ~2", fill between the studs with spray foam or rigid foam, sheet the entire wall, install WRB complete, and then pad out the additional 1" -1.5" with rigid foam. I guess where the WRB and the foam goes will vary depending on your climate.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote