Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Marine Electrician (LO)

Rewards Points: 25

Siding over floor joists right above concrete

EDIT2: I live in Pascagoula MS, about 1 mile from the coast.

Greetings all.

I am currently in the process of residing the front of my house, and I've run into a bit of a problem. About 6 years ago, my dad ran wooden boards all the way around the house to keep the cats out. He left maybe 1 or 2 gaps with wire mesh over them to allow for air circulation, but the main issue is that (as I can see now) no flashing was used, and all that water that was supposed to drain off the barrier behind the siding piled up on top of the wood, and rotted out a large portion of the siding along the bottom of the house, some of the sill plate(?), and the various blocks and chocks randomly attached in those general areas.

Now, the good news is that the floor joists are generally sound. There are some blocks on the sides of some of the joists that are rotting, but the joists themselves are in OK condition, and they aren't wet except on the ends. The studs inside also seem to be in pretty good condition though a little wet near the bottom. I will probably run a few new studs at any faulty areas.

Here is what the area looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/NmIeh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l1NTB.jpg

As you can see, there is a walkway, and a concrete step leading up the front door, and all that butts right up against the house. My problem is that I don't want these floor joists ends being exposed, but I don't know of a good way to cover them and protect them without creating a moisture problem again.

I was thinking that after repairing the rotten spacers and blocks, and removing the siding, I could run treated 2x6 or 2x8 (or maybe 1x) boards along the bottom, leaving maybe a half inch gap to prevent water on the steps from sitting against the wood. Then I could run Z-flashing against the new sheathing and on top of the boards, put moisture barrier over that, seal it over the flashing, and finally put the new Hardie Lap Siding over all of that. This way, any moisture that got behind the siding would drain down over the moisture barrier, over the flashing, and not get behind or underneath the treated wood.

But maybe I'm completely wrong, which is why I posted a thread here. Sagely advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I completely forgot to add. What can be done about the concrete step that is covering up those joists? I really don't like the idea of water being trapped in that area, and the amount of rot behind that section was significant. What can be done to fix that problem?

Last edited by 30Five; 02-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.
30Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I know everyone here will give me a hard time but if that was my home I would get rid of all that old siding and start over.
That was a poorly build home in the first place and there's lots of room for improvement.
There's no rim joist, house was built to close to the ground, siding was installed to close to the ground.
Once you remove that old siding your going to find mold, poor insulation, old wiring.
Patch it all you want to but to do it right this is what I feel needs to be done.
It's always best to add your location. Go back and tap on your name and add that info please.
Hardee siding would be a poor choise, it can not be installed close to where water is going to splash back up on it.
Some people love it, I hate it. Pain to cut, needs to be caulked and painted, real pain to replace a piece if it gets damaged. Pain to nail to the wall unless you buy a real siding nailer, fragle untill installed on the wall, need to wear a dust mask when cutting.
Down load the instrutions on the Hardee web site and make sure to look at the health hazards when cutting.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
30Five (02-15-2012), Tom Struble (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

looks like the siding is the sheathing,sills missing, it is a bit of a mess

anytime you have concrete touching wood your going to have problems like this
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
30Five (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Marine Electrician (LO)

Yeah "mess" definitely describes it.

What do you think about making a make-shift sill by replacing the rotted and missing sills with treated 2x4 or 2x6 and then possibly adding some kind of treated wood over that leaving a gap at the bottom? Also, some opinions on my idea of flashings would be useful.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

I order to do that the house would have to be lifted. It would be 2 X 8's not 2 X 4's or 6's so the floor joist do not crush them.
It's almost never a good idea to use pressure treated for trim. It will not hold paint and can not be covered with aluminum coil stock.
I'd be using vinyl lumber with Z molding over the top of that then the siding.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Marine Electrician (LO)

Two quick questions, is there any alternative to vinyl lumber, as that stuff is almost $50 for 12' (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though). Also, is there any kind of wood sealer I can use that would be sufficient to provide at least some moisture protection for the joists and sills directly behind that concrete step?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #7

Look again at the house, how did going cheap work out?
Do it once the right way, never have to replace it, no painting, no rot.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Marine Electrician (LO)

Ugh I guess I'll have to shop around for the best price on that.

The ends of the joists behind the concrete step have only about a 1/2 gap to the concrete. If I use a 1x vinyl board, would it be okay to trim a bit off the end of the joists (say 3/8) so as to fit the board behind, OR should I cut notches in the boards instead?

In addition to using vinyl board along the base, is there any kind of good wood sealer, or similar product that I can apply to the ends of the joists to further protect them from damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Hardee siding would be a poor choise, it can not be installed close to where water is going to splash back up on it.
Some people love it, I hate it. Pain to cut, needs to be caulked and painted, real pain to replace a piece if it gets damaged. Pain to nail to the wall unless you buy a real siding nailer, fragle untill installed on the wall, need to wear a dust mask when cutting.
Down load the instrutions on the Hardee web site and make sure to look at the health hazards when cutting.
I understand where you're coming from, but Hardie siding is truly my only option. It is half the cost of vinyl, good wind resistance for the hurricanes in my area, and the other houses in my neighborhood that use it have held up very well since it was installed 6+ years ago. I have a very good respirator to use for cutting, so that's not an issue, and I've read the install manual and safety warnings multiple times.

Last edited by 30Five; 02-15-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

If you go to a real siding supply you can get 3/8, 1/2, 3/4. and 54 vinyl.