Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Siding/Insulation help needed

I will be siding my 70 year old NJ house in a couple weeks with vinyl cedar impressions on the front and 5" standard on the rest. I am contemplating upgrading from the 5" to the 7" siding. My contractor says that if I upgrade to the wider siding, he will have to add rigidity by installing foam board first. Because the first floor does not have any insulation at all, it seems like an easy answer, but upgrading will add $3500 to my 2 story house which is relatively small ( 36' x 22' footprint)

My other option is to blow insulation in downstairs from the outside after the old siding is removed and just stick with the 5" siding. The entire upstairs is all new construction so that will be well insulated. Will I be able to rent one of these blowers?

Not sure what to do here, my budget is tight but the upgrade would add R value to the house and the wider siding looks better but $3500 seems steep to me. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have, thanks.

jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

I'm a little confused on your Question.
Is the upgrade from 5" to 7" siding for the other sides of the house?
I know there is a substantial price difference in the material,(5" clap as apposed to 7" Cedar Impressions)so is the increase due to the material being used?

I would think the insulation would be handled as a separate component cost and should have nothing to do with the material being used unless the 5" panels were the insulated variety.

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly View Post
... Will I be able to rent one of these blowers?
Usually if you buy enough bags of insulation then the blower is used for free.

Will the $3,500 add this much to the value of the home?
how long do you plan on living there?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote