Siding Installation...Using A Builders Level - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Mr. Handy

Rewards Points: 12

Siding Installation...Using a Builders Level

I will be installing vinyl siding on my home. There two porches and a deck on this large 2-1/2 story home. I am concerned how to get the siding to match as i work around the different sides of the house, porch, etc.

Would a builders level help me establish points for each side of the home? I have never used one. Advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

swiederin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,522

Siding Installation...Using a Builders Level

I rarely use a builders level for siding it can get you into trouble on older homes especially.

Itís more important that the reveals are the same under and over windows, doors, etc. sometimes that means the siding isnít actually level although it appears to be.

I like to find a spot where I can pull a string across the entire wall at least a course above the windows. Then Iíll pull a number off the soffits or rafters as a starting point for the string line. Once my string is set Iíll check it to the windows and doors looking for consistent numbers and fudging the string as needed until Iím satisfied. Once that line is set all layout reference comes from that line.

When working your way around the house decide where your ending point is going to be. The best case scenario is if there is a fireplace or some other dead end to finish into so if your line around the house isnít perfect you will never know.

Another good place to end is a long wall with few windows, if your lines end up off an inch as you came around the house you can make that up on your last long wall since youíll never see that the siding is out 1Ē in 30í but at least the lines will match up.

Just donít finish the siding on the front of the house, if you do have any problems lining things up you want that to be as far out of site as possible.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
swiederin (04-28-2011)