Siding Install Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

siding install question

I am ready to install siding on a new addition. the addition created two inside corners where the side walls come away from the existing house. As I side the new room with matching siding how do i create the inside corners? I am thinking some sort of 1x1 batten in the corner to let each side butt up against flat surface. Is that the way to go and if so what materiel should be used? Thanks.

Advertisement

rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

siding install question

You don’t mention what type of siding but a 2x2 (1 ½” x 1 ½”) is pretty common. You can go smaller but nothing under 1”.

If you’ll be caulking the face of the siding the corner should protrude no less than a ¼” past the butt of the siding giving you enough room for a bead of caulk.

Of course if this is vinyl siding they make an accessory for the inside corners.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

siding install question

There are vinyl or vinyl composites that eliminate water issues and possibly painting. For vinyl siding, there are premade corners available from most manufacturers.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

siding install question

Follow-on question: Is it better on an outside corner to take the siding up to the corner and then put the vertical trim boards overtop? Or to install the trimp boards first, and then but the siding up to the trim boards? On my house - built in 2000, they seemed to use a bit of both techniques -- mostly trim, then butt siding, but some of placing the trim atop the siding.

Just thinking about it, the trim, then butt siding approach seems like a simpler solution so long as there is a nailer in the framing for the siding.
coloradotrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

siding install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You don’t mention what type of siding but a 2x2 (1 ½” x 1 ½”) is pretty common. You can go smaller but nothing under 1”.

If you’ll be caulking the face of the siding the corner should protrude no less than a ¼” past the butt of the siding giving you enough room for a bead of caulk.

Of course if this is vinyl siding they make an accessory for the inside corners.
Thanks quickfish... My siding is 7/16 x 12" some sort of wood product. Sorry I did not catch the name. It does have a faux wood grain exterior if that helps. Comes already primed but will need to be painted. I was thinking something 2x with me needing to cut the original wall siding back in order to insert the 2x2. Correct? Any recommendations on material to use? I have a 2x2 piece of pine in my hand the other day but that will need primed and painted too. Just wondering if there are any options. My soffit trim material was some sort of Masonite product that looks like it might hold up better than something soft like pine. I guess I am mildly surprised that some standard trim piece is not the way to go - not arguing just trying to think it through... Thanks!
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

siding install question

A 2x2 is pretty standard. I use Cedar but you could also use treated pine or fir a composite material or pvc.

Advertisement