Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

Siding fix it question

Long time lurker, just joined and decided to post up a question
I want to get rid of the fake shutters on the exterior of the house, if I do that, the window sill will stick out past the window and look out of place, whats the best way of cutting it out and placing in a piece of hardiplank?

jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
the Musigician

Siding fix it question

don't you mean 10 or more pieces? that shutter will leave a blank, un-sided wall behind it when you pull it off.....
the multimaster or dremel should cut the sill off though.

DM

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Siding fix it question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
don't you mean 10 or more pieces? that shutter will leave a blank, un-sided wall behind it when you pull it off.....
the multimaster or dremel should cut the sill off though.

DM
The shutter is placed over the top of the siding, one reason why I'm thinking of taking it on since it won't be as bad as replacing all that siding
Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Siding fix it question

you will need to remove two pieces of siding. once removed you can do this with a good sharp hand saw.The good old fashion way.The other piece would be under the sill. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #5

Siding fix it question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
you will need to remove two pieces of siding. once removed you can do this with a good sharp hand saw.The good old fashion way.The other piece would be under the sill. BOB
That makes sense but I guess one of my main concerns was getting the pieces off, since they're blind nailed how do people get pieces off and reinstall a new piece without working from the top down? I've put siding on before on an old house, but never had to repair or replace a single board, thats where i'm lost
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Siding fix it question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie treehorn View Post
That makes sense but I guess one of my main concerns was getting the pieces off, since they're blind nailed how do people get pieces off and reinstall a new piece without working from the top down? I've put siding on before on an old house, but never had to repair or replace a single board, thats where i'm lost
Start with the top piece push and old spackle knife up under the lap. then pry it out just enough to slide a hacksaw blade between the two. and start to cut the nails. then crack the piece that you are going to replace out. then you will expose the hidden nails so to remove them. do the same under the window sill by cutting the nails or driving them all the way in with a drift punch the same size of the nail, which should of been nailed with finish nails and faced nailed lower. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #7

Siding fix it question

you could also use a slate ripper you could probably rent one.You slide it behind the panel hook it around the nail and bang it down with a hammer on the strike surface works great.Replace the hardi you will have to face nail use ss siding nails and touch up the heads

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-28-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Siding fix it question

When you take the shutters off, the siding under them is not gonna be faded like the rest, so be prepared to have two different colors (unless you like stripes).
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #9

Siding fix it question

Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
you could also use a slate ripper you could probably rent one.You slide it behind the panel hook it around the nail and bang it down with a hammer on the strike surface works great.Replace the hardi you will have to face nail use ss siding nails and touch up the heads
So the only downside to this will be having to face nail the new siding pieces, I think I can live with that, beats the shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
When you take the shutters off, the siding under them is not gonna be faded like the rest, so be prepared to have two different colors (unless you like stripes).
I plan to paint hopefully this spring/early summer which should take care of that.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #10

Siding fix it question

typically you would drive the face nail head flush with the siding but with the small pcs your going to be replacing you could probably sink the heads a little lower and use some exterior spackle sand it smooth and paint

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote