Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Member
 
jackie treehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wa state
Posts: 154
Share |
Default

Siding fix it question


Long time lurker, just joined and decided to post up a question
I want to get rid of the fake shutters on the exterior of the house, if I do that, the window sill will stick out past the window and look out of place, whats the best way of cutting it out and placing in a piece of hardiplank?


jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Default

Siding fix it question


don't you mean 10 or more pieces? that shutter will leave a blank, un-sided wall behind it when you pull it off.....
the multimaster or dremel should cut the sill off though.

DM

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Member
 
jackie treehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wa state
Posts: 154
Default

Siding fix it question


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
don't you mean 10 or more pieces? that shutter will leave a blank, un-sided wall behind it when you pull it off.....
the multimaster or dremel should cut the sill off though.

DM
The shutter is placed over the top of the siding, one reason why I'm thinking of taking it on since it won't be as bad as replacing all that siding
jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Default

Siding fix it question


you will need to remove two pieces of siding. once removed you can do this with a good sharp hand saw.The good old fashion way.The other piece would be under the sill. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Member
 
jackie treehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wa state
Posts: 154
Default

Siding fix it question


Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
you will need to remove two pieces of siding. once removed you can do this with a good sharp hand saw.The good old fashion way.The other piece would be under the sill. BOB
That makes sense but I guess one of my main concerns was getting the pieces off, since they're blind nailed how do people get pieces off and reinstall a new piece without working from the top down? I've put siding on before on an old house, but never had to repair or replace a single board, thats where i'm lost
jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Default

Siding fix it question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie treehorn View Post
That makes sense but I guess one of my main concerns was getting the pieces off, since they're blind nailed how do people get pieces off and reinstall a new piece without working from the top down? I've put siding on before on an old house, but never had to repair or replace a single board, thats where i'm lost
Start with the top piece push and old spackle knife up under the lap. then pry it out just enough to slide a hacksaw blade between the two. and start to cut the nails. then crack the piece that you are going to replace out. then you will expose the hidden nails so to remove them. do the same under the window sill by cutting the nails or driving them all the way in with a drift punch the same size of the nail, which should of been nailed with finish nails and faced nailed lower. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Default

Siding fix it question


you could also use a slate ripper you could probably rent one.You slide it behind the panel hook it around the nail and bang it down with a hammer on the strike surface works great.Replace the hardi you will have to face nail use ss siding nails and touch up the heads

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-28-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Default

Siding fix it question


When you take the shutters off, the siding under them is not gonna be faded like the rest, so be prepared to have two different colors (unless you like stripes).
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Member
 
jackie treehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wa state
Posts: 154
Default

Siding fix it question


Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
you could also use a slate ripper you could probably rent one.You slide it behind the panel hook it around the nail and bang it down with a hammer on the strike surface works great.Replace the hardi you will have to face nail use ss siding nails and touch up the heads
So the only downside to this will be having to face nail the new siding pieces, I think I can live with that, beats the shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
When you take the shutters off, the siding under them is not gonna be faded like the rest, so be prepared to have two different colors (unless you like stripes).
I plan to paint hopefully this spring/early summer which should take care of that.
jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Default

Siding fix it question


typically you would drive the face nail head flush with the siding but with the small pcs your going to be replacing you could probably sink the heads a little lower and use some exterior spackle sand it smooth and paint

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb Siding question 1610 CUB Building & Construction 4 08-23-2008 04:08 PM
Vinyl siding question? kcrossley2 Building & Construction 5 12-18-2006 05:20 AM
Siding: Cement Vs. Cedar Grumpy Remodeling 5 03-19-2005 01:07 PM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 1 03-19-2005 12:55 PM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 0 04-18-2004 03:35 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.