Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

Siding for 12x12 shed

I have framed a 12x12 shed and I am about to put the siding on it, but can't decide what siding to put on it. I was at Lowes and saw some siding that said it was for exterior paneling for sheds and garages with a barn style finish. I looked at the back and it looked like the material pegboard is made out of, I guess it is OSB. I was just wondering if this would work if I sealed it and painted it. It is only around 18 or 19 dollars a sheet. If not what would be best. I have heard t1-11, but some people say it will go bad after too long, but I just don't have the money to go with vinyl siding. I live in west texas so there isn't to much moisture just wind. Thank you for the help in this project.

tcfls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
General Contractor

Siding for 12x12 shed

I don't know the exact Lowe's product you are referring to, but it sounds like what is called T1-11 today. HD sells LP's Smartside version.

In any case, I have repaired a fair bit of T1-11 up here in the wet Pacific Northwest. However, I have been told that much of the failure goes back to poor installations. It's a cheap product, and it's meant to speed up the building process. Naturally it was the choice of not just good builders but also many builders who were trying to knock em out as fast as possible.

Be very careful to install exactly as instructed by the manufacturer, use the right flashing and the right caulk in all the right places, pay attention to gaps and separations from other materials, and treat your cut ends, even if it means you can't install it as quickly as you would like. It will last long enough.

Good Luck,

Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

Siding for 12x12 shed

I check craigslist.org quite a bit for supplies on small jobs like that. Looking here around Detroit, found a few square of vinyl siding from people at $40/sq. That's even cheaper than what you're finding at Lowe's, granted you'd need starter strip, corner channels, etc.. Just a thought!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

Siding for 12x12 shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfls2 View Post
I have framed a 12x12 shed and I am about to put the siding on it, but can't decide what siding to put on it. I was at Lowes and saw some siding that said it was for exterior paneling for sheds and garages with a barn style finish. I looked at the back and it looked like the material pegboard is made out of, I guess it is OSB. I was just wondering if this would work if I sealed it and painted it. It is only around 18 or 19 dollars a sheet. If not what would be best. I have heard t1-11, but some people say it will go bad after too long, but I just don't have the money to go with vinyl siding. I live in west texas so there isn't to much moisture just wind. Thank you for the help in this project.
There's info on T1-11 here
http://www.construction-resource.com...ead.php?t=1333
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Siding for 12x12 shed

I think it is masonite that I was looking at. I have read some on it and they say as long as you seal it good it will last.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #6

Siding for 12x12 shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfls2 View Post
I think it is masonite that I was looking at. I have read some on it and they say as long as you seal it good it will last.
I would definitely NOT use masonite on an exterior building exposed to the weather.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #7

Siding for 12x12 shed

If I do go with the smartside T1-11 siding is it ok to caulk any openings in the joints or any spaces as long as I have a vent on the roof.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #8

Siding for 12x12 shed

Personally I would consider pricing out siding that matches your house. It isn't that much more expensive and if you get vinyl you get a lot more years than a painted siding or paneling.
TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #9

Siding for 12x12 shed

Well my house is brick, but I think I may look around on craigslist to see if I can find left over vinyl from big jobs. Thank you for all of your help.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #10

Siding for 12x12 shed

I would side each side diff
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
General Contractor

Siding for 12x12 shed

tcfls2,

Just to reply to your question, if you did use a SmartSide type siding, you should seal all the edges.

If you need ventilation, install venting.

Good luck,
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Siding for 12x12 shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Read View Post
I don't know the exact Lowe's product you are referring to, but it sounds like what is called T1-11 today. HD sells LP's Smartside version.

In any case, I have repaired a fair bit of T1-11 up here in the wet Pacific Northwest. However, I have been told that much of the failure goes back to poor installations. It's a cheap product, and it's meant to speed up the building process. Naturally it was the choice of not just good builders but also many builders who were trying to knock em out as fast as possible.

Quote:
Be very careful to install exactly as instructed by the manufacturer, use the right flashing and the right caulk in all the right places, pay attention to gaps and separations from other materials, and treat your cut ends, even if it means you can't install it as quickly as you would like. It will last long enough.
Good Luck,

Most of these siding products are very specific in regards to nailing procedures. You can't bury the nail heads. Especially toward the bottom of the sheet. I've seen ton's of siding installed incorrectly and the manufacturers are paying the price in class action law suits.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote