Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Sides of Roof Over Deck

I have built a roof over my deck, shed style. The roof pitch is 1.5 in 12. My wife mentioned today that she wants to hang outdoor blinds on the sides to keep out wind driven rain. The roof is slanted so the is not possible currently. What can I do on the sides to accommodate this? She also mentioned wanting a heavier look to the side than it currently has. How can I work this in to the current roof? Pic attached.

Last edited by Bob Haskett; 03-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Bob Haskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Add a skirt board under the roof rafter that is horizontal and parallel to the deck. You could hang the blinds from there.
You know this will not last too long, the blind thing. Eventually you will enclose the area and make it a 3 season porch.
Why not just do it now and kill 2 birds with one stone.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Add a skirt board under the roof rafter that is horizontal and parallel to the deck. You could hang the blinds from there.
You know this will not last too long, the blind thing. Eventually you will enclose the area and make it a 3 season porch.
Why not just do it now and kill 2 birds with one stone.
Ron
We cannot enclose it. I tried to get a permit for that but the only way I could get it permitted was to put a roof over the deck NOT attached to the house so that they could call it a Gazebo. Any other method would have caused it to go too far into our setback and a permit would not be able to be obtained. Stupid I know.

As for the skirt board, what would be the best way to fill in the gap the skirt board would leave between the rafter and the skirt board since the ceiling is already finished?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
As for the skirt board, what would be the best way to fill in the gap the skirt board would leave between the rafter and the skirt board since the ceiling is already finished?
How 'bout another board, cut in a taper,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
How 'bout another board, cut in a taper,..??
Bondo said it. The skirt board would be tapered at the top to conform to the rafter angle. The issue would be one of attachment.
Another method, depending how much overhang you had, would be a piece of plywood, attached to the rafter side,conforming to the rafter angle and horozontal at the bottom. That could just be screwed to the rafter. You could then cap it in aluminum to hide the fasteners and the edges. I'd prime and paint the plywood to avoid delamination under the aluminum.
Ron
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Bondo said it. The skirt board would be tapered at the top to conform to the rafter angle. The issue would be one of attachment.
Another method, depending how much overhang you had, would be a piece of plywood, attached to the rafter side,conforming to the rafter angle and horozontal at the bottom. That could just be screwed to the rafter. You could then cap it in aluminum to hide the fasteners and the edges. I'd prime and paint the plywood to avoid delamination under the aluminum.
Ron
Excuse my ignorance. By capping with aluminum do you mean something similar to like facia? Would it go over the entire piece of plywood? We used a semi transparent stain that with a second coat is almost solid. I am wondering if I used plywood and primed and stained it if it would hide the screws enough to look hood by itself? Then use some trim to cover the edges? The only thing I can't picture there is how to make it look good from the inside.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
Excuse my ignorance. By capping with aluminum do you mean something similar to like facia? Would it go over the entire piece of plywood? We used a semi transparent stain that with a second coat is almost solid. I am wondering if I used plywood and primed and stained it if it would hide the screws enough to look hood by itself? Then use some trim to cover the edges? The only thing I can't picture there is how to make it look good from the inside.
The blind hardware will be attached to the inside. The piece will only drop down at the front enough to hide the hardware and the blinds in the "up" position.
You would paint it the same color as the interior. Either the rafter or the ceiling, depending on the set up inside.
Ron
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
The blind hardware will be attached to the inside. The piece will only drop down at the front enough to hide the hardware and the blinds in the "up" position.
You would paint it the same color as the interior. Either the rafter or the ceiling, depending on the set up inside.
Ron
At the house side I would think you are looking at almost a 2' difference though. So basically you are saying to attach the plywood to the side and make it basically 2' wider at the house side, prime paint and trim?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
At the house side I would think you are looking at almost a 2' difference though. So basically you are saying to attach the plywood to the side and make it basically 2' wider at the house side, prime paint and trim?
I don't follow the 2' difference. Two feet difference from what to what?
Ron
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Level the bottom of the soffit all the way across and hang blinds from there.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Level the bottom of the soffit all the way across and hang blinds from there.
Ok I gotcha now. I was thinking you were saying to put the board up to where it was flush with the roofing so it basically covered the side rafter.

As far as the 2' difference I was referring to how much the plywood side would stick out below the rafter.

So is the aluminum cap you are referring to basically facia?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
Ok I gotcha now. I was thinking you were saying to put the board up to where it was flush with the roofing so it basically covered the side rafter.

As far as the 2' difference I was referring to how much the plywood side would stick out below the rafter.

So is the aluminum cap you are referring to basically facia?
That was what I was saying. Just put up plywood on the rafter. I have no idea what the construction looks like up close and I have no idea what sort of blinds or mountings it has. It was just an explanation of how to get "a" mounting surface with a horizontal bottom.
Ron
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
DIYer

Sides of Roof Over Deck

Quote:
That was what I was saying. Just put up plywood on the rafter. I have no idea what the construction looks like up close and I have no idea what sort of blinds or mountings it has. It was just an explanation of how to get "a" mounting surface with a horizontal bottom.
Ron
Thanks Ron, for the idea. It seems like my best option.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #15

Sides of Roof Over Deck

i agree with Ron but instead of using plywood on the exterior i would use Pro-rib siding found at any Menard's stores,maintenance free,they can match the color of the rest or you can spray paint it with rustoleum spray paint also found at Menard's or any paint store.It attaches with stainless steel screws that have rubber seals that seal themselves.You'll still have to put in wood underneath pressure treated so no sealing involved and on the inside i wood finish it off like the existing ceiling.Pro-rib siding lasts 25 years before needing more paint it's cheap.Cutts with a pair of straight snips or electric shears that cost 30$or even nibblers.I would use snips.well lubricated.The Blinds I'm assuming you'll need would also have to be aluminum or bamboo.Bamboo would have to be brought in or tied up for the winter if you get snow.Using boat anchors to secure at the top or sides of your deck posts or railing.

Stainless steel is offline   Reply With Quote