Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

Side Yard Setback, Height of Workshop

Hi folks,
I'm trying to plan an outdoor workshop on the side of my home. I will be pulling a permit since I want it to be larger than 120 sq ft. I was hoping for a 10 x 16 shop on a 4" concrete slab. Unfortunately, my local permit bureau enlightened me about a setback ordinance that works out like this....

From the side yard property line to 8'5" into the yard (calculated by a formula of my lot size) any portion of the building within that distance cannot exceed 9' 6". Any part of the building beyond 8'5" can be up to 22' high.

Unfortunately, I have 24' from the side property line to the main house. The building must be 5' from the main house.

I tried to work out a building with interior walls no higher than 7' 5 1/4" from slab to the cap plate and a 4:12 hip roof. But, that hip portion of the roof would exceed the height restriction. I could make the walls shorter, but I think the building code requires a rough door opening height of 82 3/4" and I would need a 4x4 header with top and cap plates, so there is the 7' 5 1/4".

Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the height? I've considered a 12 x 14 shop with a 4:12 hip roof, which will get me under the limit with fractions to spare. Can a door rough opening be shorter than 82 3/4"? If so, I can reduce some of the height there by getting a custom door.

Thanks for any info.
Rick

RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Look in a BROSCO book at a lumber yard, or whatever millwork company is local. They should have 6'-6" standard, r.o. would be 80" to 80-1/2" depending on threshold thickness.

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

You will want to check with your local Building Dept. as to the Building Code that is enforced in your area. Most codes will require a door not less than 6' 8" high and 3' 0" wide for an exit (entrance door). However, that is for habitable space and your local Building Dept. may not consider the workshop as habitable space. If that is the case then the door height may be able to be reduced a bit.

If I understand you correctly you have a 24 foot side yard and need to leave 5' between structures and if you leave 8' 5" to the side lot line you will then have 10' 7" to work with. If possible, can you run the 16' along the house (front to back) and have the 10' in width? You then don't have the height problem, obviously you thought about this and want the 16' in width. In that case I suggest that you do a gable roof with the wall near the lot line shorter than the opposite wall with the entry door. If you object to the appearance from the street you can screen the view so that it is not readily noticeable. By the way, ask your Building Dept. that if you leave only the five feet between structures if your overhangs then need to be of a rated construction. e.g. one hour, if that is the case you may wish to back up the workshop a little bit more.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Thanks Duckweather,
I just looked at that site and found their 6'6" door requires a rough opening of 80 1/2". That will help me cut down the walls another 2 inches. So, I guess the 82 3/4 ro is not an International Building Code afterall.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Camper,
Actually, the workshop can be right up to the side property line. The 8'5" is the distance into the yard that the building height cannot exceed 9'6". I know it sounded confusing to me at first. But imagine the building at the side yard property line with a roof no higher than 9'6" until you get further into the yard by 8'5", then the building can rise higher than 9'6" but cannot exceed 22'. This would make for an interesting roof line.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

It might be good to know what code your town uses. There is always the chance they wrote their own, (or edited one and adopted it as their own). They cannot change what they adopted without the changes being voted on during elections. You may have the option of requesting a variance. Depends how bad you need the shop.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Duckweather,
I went to the city for some answers prior a few weeks ago. I plan to make some simple plans and will get them approved before doing any work.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
JOATMON

Makes me like California even more....I built my garage almost on the property line. And it's a 2-story garage.....all permited.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Haverhill Trade 1965

You all wouldn't like Boston then. I think you have to get a permit to get a permit
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
You all wouldn't like Boston then. I think you have to get a permit to get a permit
Does that mean that you have to get a permit to go get a permit to get the 1st permit?

Oh, wait, I forget, in Boston "you can't get there from here".

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Makes me like California even more....I built my garage almost on the property line. And it's a 2-story garage.....all permited.
Sounds like my brothers $2 million CA home with a front yard smaller than my lawn mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Does that mean that you have to get a permit to go get a permit to get the 1st permit?

Oh, wait, I forget, in Boston "you can't get there from here".
That's Maine, not Boston. Boston is "who would want to get there from here." That's from my favorite Adam Sandler sketches from Saturday Night Live. Found out the line was not used on SNL but a related stand up routine from Adam Sandler that I have taped.

Last edited by goosebarry; 06-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote