Side Windows And Proximity To Lot Line - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Side windows and proximity to lot line

Does anybody know where I can find details on the sq ft % of windows allowed on the side of a house, and the proximity to the lot line? I know it's probably specific to the local building code so if any posters are from Ontario, that would be particularly helpful .

It may be pretty standard though so any reference would be great.

Thanks!

Mary

Advertisement

Magmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmo View Post
Does anybody know where I can find details on the sq ft % of windows allowed on the side of a house, and the proximity to the lot line? I know it's probably specific to the local building code so if any posters are from Ontario, that would be particularly helpful .

It may be pretty standard though so any reference would be great.

Thanks!

Mary
Windows and their sizes(minimum) are usually predicated on room size.
The building conforms to the setback dimensions of your locale, not the windows.
Unless... you're talking about walkout window modifications.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry. I should have been more specific !

In particular, I'm referring to this which I read on the Ontario building code website. Not sure if it's implemented yet or if they're just updating something that's already in place.

"limiting the size and concentration of window openings in exposing building faces near lot lines to reduce building-to-building fire spread"

I'm not sure where I can find the percentage allowed.

I already have a few windows on the side of the house and I'm afraid I may not be able to put *any* in my addition. I want to put a couple high (clerestory? If thats the proper term) windows on my south wall. I'm building 3 m from the lot line.

Thanks!

Mary
Magmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmo View Post
Sorry. I should have been more specific !

In particular, I'm referring to this which I read on the Ontario building code website. Not sure if it's implemented yet or if they're just updating something that's already in place.

"limiting the size and concentration of window openings in exposing building faces near lot lines to reduce building-to-building fire spread"

I'm not sure where I can find the percentage allowed.

I already have a few windows on the side of the house and I'm afraid I may not be able to put *any* in my addition. I want to put a couple high (clerestory? If thats the proper term) windows on my south wall. I'm building 3 m from the lot line.

Thanks!

Mary
If you're building an addition, you'll need plans. The architect should be able to tell you what you need to know.
Or visit the building Dept with your questions.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote