Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

shower wall stability

hi all - I saw this older thread in the forum here and it's pretty close to what I'm trying to do in my bathroom

Shower Half Wall Framing

I have the same situation except that the wall in question (approx 4') may end up being a full height (approx 84") + tile, as opposed to half height + glass on top. So - same issue (wall stability), but taller wall.

If I run the wall studs down in to the floor space and brace them against floor joists and / or blocking, etc as suggested in the thread referenced above, will it be solid enough even if the wall is 80" high? I don't want the wall to go right up to the ceiling, which would make this rock solid, but it would look kinda crappy in our case. We would like hang a full height glass door approx 24" wide x 80" high off this same wall so the free end has to be pretty stable I assume.

I'd like to use 2x4 to frame the wall, to maximize shower space (as opposed to 2x6). Underneath is the crawl space with 2x12 floor joists + blocking already in place @ 6' mid span (I really overbuilt it) so I have a very solid floor with lots to brace against if I do this.

Thanks for any feedback

-randy

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

shower wall stability

I'd use a steel box bolted to the joists and run up the inside of the wall if you're going to hang a door on it. I'd also screw and glue a plywood skin on both sides.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #3

shower wall stability

Thanks Ron - by steel box you mean a length of square steel tubing or actually fabricating a box to fit exactly between the joists? sorry if I'm not understanding correctly...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #4

shower wall stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
Thanks Ron - by steel box you mean a length of square steel tubing or actually fabricating a box to fit exactly between the joists? sorry if I'm not understanding correctly...
I was just speaking of the square steel tubing as it requires no welding skill. But, if you have a welder and want to go to the effort.....
Ron
Old 12-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

shower wall stability

I'm not much of a welder - I'll stick with the tubing which I can easily pick up on the way out next time. Plywood also noted. thanks for the tips...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

shower wall stability

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have another related question.

Assuming I build my 2 shower wing walls (framed and tiled - using the advice here - thanks) to a full height (say, 84") but I do not install a door. Instead, I have a walk in shower. Could I add a shower rod (not sure if that's what it would be called in this case) that connects / ties the top ends of the 2 wing walls together (e.g. across the top of the walkway / opening). This could serve as a curtain rod (should I decide to hang a curtain there at some point) and also stabilize the top of the wall sections, kinda like a top rail should do in a glass enclosure...?

Really trying to squeeze the budget now and the walk in option seems kinda cool. Just not sure if the top rod / rail would spoil it.

Does that make sense? Would this look cheezy? It seems like a really easy way to add some extra stability to the walls. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a thousand pics of glass enclosures but I'm not having much luck finding an example of what I'm trying to describe. Maybe that should tell me something..?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #7

shower wall stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread as I have another related question.

Assuming I build my 2 shower wing walls (framed and tiled - using the advice here - thanks) to a full height (say, 84") but I do not install a door. Instead, I have a walk in shower. Could I add a shower rod (not sure if that's what it would be called in this case) that connects / ties the top ends of the 2 wing walls together (e.g. across the top of the walkway / opening). This could serve as a curtain rod (should I decide to hang a curtain there at some point) and also stabilize the top of the wall sections, kinda like a top rail should do in a glass enclosure...?

Really trying to squeeze the budget now and the walk in option seems kinda cool. Just not sure if the top rod / rail would spoil it.

Does that make sense? Would this look cheezy? It seems like a really easy way to add some extra stability to the walls. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a thousand pics of glass enclosures but I'm not having much luck finding an example of what I'm trying to describe. Maybe that should tell me something..?
These rods are not built to control wing walls. They are usually 2 escutcheon plates that have a rod in the center. The rod just floats in the plates. You would need something like a threaded pipe with flanges screwed into the ends that were then screwed into the wall to tie them together.
Decorative solutions are rarely structural( and visa versa).
Ronron
Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

shower wall stability

thanks Ron - i see what you're saying. I guess there's no product out there that's both (decorative and structural)? in this case? I'm just kicking ideas around - thanks for the feedback.