Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

shower tile

I am remodeling my bathroom and putting in new shower tile. I have the backer board up and I am ready to go. however I want to put a protector between the backer board and the tile. Recently on a DIY show they were doing such, they used some type of paint sealer especially for this purpose. Does anyone know what it is? What product do I use for this job?

Reface

pbalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

shower tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalano View Post
I am remodeling my bathroom and putting in new shower tile. I have the backer board up and I am ready to go. however I want to put a protector between the backer board and the tile. Recently on a DIY show they were doing such, they used some type of paint sealer especially for this purpose. Does anyone know what it is? What product do I use for this job?

Reface
First of all you don't really need another barrier if you used a backerboard like Denshield, if you do want a barrier you can find them in local home improvement stores. Honestly in my opinion the barriers actually hurt the adhesion of your mortar to the backerboard. Think about it, you areputting something ovr the backer which will prevent the mortar from bonding direcly to the backer. The backer is designed specifically fr the bond of the mortar. You can chec out some other DIY info here http://hubpages.com/hub/DIY-Home-Imp...meowner-Can-Do ad one about grouting tile here http://hubpages.com/hub/Instructions-on-How-To-Grout

procontractor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

shower tile

Vapor barrier behind the backer? If not you can use redguard ( at HD) to waterproof the shower area.
brogeflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

shower tile

he said the backer is already, he is talking about barrier on the backer before the mortar and tile. I do not personally care for that method
Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #5

shower tile

you do need to put up a water proof membrain for this.The backer borad is not water proof so something like Kerdi membrians works well or at least thats what I used and what is recommened by most.If you dont put some form of water proofing on your tiles wont last very long since the mortarr,grout and the backer board are not water proof
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Not so new

shower tile

pb...the product you describe is Redgard and if used as directed has no effect on thin set adhesion.
12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #7

shower tile

Depending on the type of backerboard used, many of them are water or moisture resistant. I personally use densshield, it is a blue material that already has water proofing built in to th material. I then use thinset to fill any gaps in the board priot to applying the thinset and tile. Trust me using a membrane or material to stop moisture, especially in shower walls is overkill. How many of you have ever seen significant standing water on a shower wall?? NONE because it is on a wall, law of gravity prevents standing wateron a wall therefore the water will never find it's wa through the tile,mortar,and backer. Shower floor is a different issue but even still when using newer backerboards that are waterproof or water resistant will eliminate the need for an extra step on adding a barrier.