Shower Stall Shelf - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Shower Stall shelf

Hi Guys,
I have a shower stall that I have built in the basement, it is 2 X 4 walls and will be covered with cement board and tiles. The outside walls of the shower will be part of the basement. Since the walls are only 2 X4's, can I built a shelf so that I can put like shampoo bottles, etc. on it? How deep can I built the shelf before it reaches the other side of the sheetrock? If it can be done, what do I use to built the shelf? plywood, then cover with the cement board?

Thanks

Advertisement

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Stall shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a shower stall that I have built in the basement, it is 2 X 4 walls and will be covered with cement board and tiles. The outside walls of the shower will be part of the basement. Since the walls are only 2 X4's, can I built a shelf so that I can put like shampoo bottles, etc. on it? How deep can I built the shelf before it reaches the other side of the sheetrock? If it can be done, what do I use to built the shelf? plywood, then cover with the cement board?

Thanks
I just re-did a shower and built a shelf between the wall studs.

I used 2x4 top and bottom and the studs for the sides. I then cut and glued a piece of 3/8 ply to the back of the sheetrock. Then hung plastic sheeting which goes behind all of the cement board and drapes down inside of the shower membrane and push it all they to the back of the recess for the shelf. Then cover the box with cement board. The plywood gives you something to screw the cement board into - use short enough screws not to penetrate the sheetrock all the way through.

If you are real concerned about water penatration, tile stores sell a brush on water proofing that when dry looks feels and acts like a second membrane. Coat everything up to eye hiegth.

Advertisement

gorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower Stall shelf

Yes you can build a shelf into walls. do all you framing with 2x4s what i do is glue cement board to the back side of the opposite wall covering. then I install a piece on the bottom sides and then top. I then thinset and mesh tape all seams. then i have a piece marble made up to my spec's and thin set that in. use a 1/2 notch trowel for this. once the back is leveled bring the level to the front and push down to give the sill some pitch. I tile the back first and then the sides and the top last. grout all the tiles, then caulk. Good luck Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shower Stall shelf

Another option...Pre-made tile shelves. They come in countless varieties.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Stall shelf-img_0779.jpg  
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote