Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

shower stall build up

I want to add a shower in my basement, rough plumbing done. My question is I want to buy one of those shower base(instead of doing a mud pan) with out the top part(shower walls). I know the big chain stores sell these. Can I us that bottom, if I plan on framing to install backerboard and tiles? I didn't put this in the plumbing section since it has to do with framing. Thanks

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #2

shower stall build up

I did a tile shower using a pan from HD. The pan went down and the backer board went over the lip on the pan. Go to HD or other box store and look at their pans.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #3

shower stall build up

Hi ponch37300, thanks for the response. I purchased one of the pans from HD, but it has a short neck under it, I say a few inches. So it doesn't let the pan sit level. Is this little neck suppose to go inside the drain? Also do you set some mortar under the base to make it firm? Thanks, all help is Greatly Appreciated. I still have the option to move the drain, if I need to change the pan.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

shower stall build up

For my pan i had to get a seperate drain that was two peices and one peice went under the pan and the other screwed to the bottom peice form the top of the pan and this drain was glued to my pvc plumbing drain. My directions for the pan said that i could install mortar under it but not needed. I didn't, just screwed the pan to the studs with galvenized screws and i wish i would have used mortar cause the tub does squeek a little when you step into it.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #5

shower stall build up

Ponch, do you remember which brand of pan you bought? The one I bought has a neck sticking underneath it, which in my case wouldn't work. Its the pan that you can buy the sides for. The one I need is the one you are talking about, the one that needs to be glued to the pvc, or installed over the pvc drain. A brand will help me. Thanks, Any one else out there with ideas?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #6

shower stall build up

I don't remember the brand name. I will probably by at the HD in the next day or two and check it out and get back to you
Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #7

shower stall build up

Was the one you bought, one of those that you can buy the additional panels for? My has a little pipe neck attached to it, so I will be taking it back tomorrow. Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #8

shower stall build up

No it's not made for side panels. I just looked at the HD website and i didn't see the one i bought, all i saw was built in drains like you describe. Is there no way to attach that neck to your drain pipe, maybe cutting the drain down?