DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   shower stall build up (

helpless handyman 02-25-2008 01:43 PM

shower stall build up
I want to add a shower in my basement, rough plumbing done. My question is I want to buy one of those shower base(instead of doing a mud pan) with out the top part(shower walls). I know the big chain stores sell these. Can I us that bottom, if I plan on framing to install backerboard and tiles? I didn't put this in the plumbing section since it has to do with framing. Thanks

ponch37300 02-25-2008 03:37 PM

I did a tile shower using a pan from HD. The pan went down and the backer board went over the lip on the pan. Go to HD or other box store and look at their pans.

helpless handyman 02-25-2008 03:53 PM

Hi ponch37300, thanks for the response. I purchased one of the pans from HD, but it has a short neck under it, I say a few inches. So it doesn't let the pan sit level. Is this little neck suppose to go inside the drain? Also do you set some mortar under the base to make it firm? Thanks, all help is Greatly Appreciated. I still have the option to move the drain, if I need to change the pan.

ponch37300 02-25-2008 04:22 PM

For my pan i had to get a seperate drain that was two peices and one peice went under the pan and the other screwed to the bottom peice form the top of the pan and this drain was glued to my pvc plumbing drain. My directions for the pan said that i could install mortar under it but not needed. I didn't, just screwed the pan to the studs with galvenized screws and i wish i would have used mortar cause the tub does squeek a little when you step into it.

helpless handyman 02-25-2008 06:08 PM

Ponch, do you remember which brand of pan you bought? The one I bought has a neck sticking underneath it, which in my case wouldn't work. Its the pan that you can buy the sides for. The one I need is the one you are talking about, the one that needs to be glued to the pvc, or installed over the pvc drain. A brand will help me. Thanks, Any one else out there with ideas?

ponch37300 02-25-2008 08:50 PM

I don't remember the brand name. I will probably by at the HD in the next day or two and check it out and get back to you

helpless handyman 02-25-2008 08:59 PM

Was the one you bought, one of those that you can buy the additional panels for? My has a little pipe neck attached to it, so I will be taking it back tomorrow. Thanks

ponch37300 02-25-2008 09:07 PM

No it's not made for side panels. I just looked at the HD website and i didn't see the one i bought, all i saw was built in drains like you describe. Is there no way to attach that neck to your drain pipe, maybe cutting the drain down?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1