Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |
Question

shower ceiling hight ????

I have a new 2nd floor addition, including a shower. My ceiling to floor height is 9.5, without drywall or tile. I like the ceiling height of the rooms. But as I am looking at the shower, it seems very tall when thinking about, heat or warm air loss (in the winter) the ceiling light. Is there a standard shower ceiling height? Can someone give me any recommendations?

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

If there was a "standard" it would be the room height. You can lower it if you think that little bit of additional height is going to make any kind of a difference in the overall scheme of things. It's not.

Typically most ceilings are 96" if that helps you.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

The height of the ceiling isn't that important. I have a second floor bath with that height and it's fine.
The shower area is warm as long as the doors are shut.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

I have similar ceiling height in my recently remodeled bathroom. I chose to lower the ceiling inside the shower encloser, both because it seemed too high, and because that gave me room to put the vent fan in with a straight 4 foot run to the exterior. If I were to do it over again, I might even lower the ceiling a little more. And run the tile all the way up......stopping it low caused me some major PITA.
Attached Thumbnails
shower ceiling hight ????-img_0602.jpg  
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

The part that is important, is the height of the shower head. I am 6'-4", and I really hate it, when I stay places, the shower head is about at my shoulder height. That means that I practically have to get on my knees to take a shower. Just a reminder on that part. As for heat loss, it is how well insulated the structure is, and that you take into consideration, that you loose heat through the exhaust vent, if there is no flapper on it, or if it is not insulated.

Also with the humidity from taking showers, it goes in line with how well it is ventilated, and how tight the structure is. If there is not enough turn over air to keep fresh air coming into the house, or specifically the second floor, you could end up with all air moving from the downstairs to the upstairs, and nothing to pull that stagnant air out of there.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote