Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |

should i turn my dining room into a dining kitchen

Hi everyone seeking a bit of advice, I have a standard 3 bed semi, well 2 bed and a box room. Dow stairs I have a small living room at the front of the house, a large dining room which is a fair bit bigger than the living room and a small kitchen which looks like it was almost an after though when the house was built. My question is should i convert the large dining room into a dining kitchen I was goingto use this as the main living room and use the fron rom as the dining roo because it is smaller. But everyone is telling me to convert the large dining room into a dining kitchen. It seem out of place to have the dining kitchen the biggest room down stairs. and would this add value to the house. IF the living room was the bigger room i would not hestiate, but it is quite a bit smaller.

heathpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

when you're at family get-together or a party where do people tend to end up? usually the kitchen. I do a lot of "country kitchens" which have the kitchen-eating area-sitting area combined. Formal dining rooms are slowly going away.

it's a personal choice. when dealing with small spaces it's usually best to get the biggest bang out of your area. you could post some photos and sketches and will probably get more informative feedback.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

If you go with your original plan this means you are hauling Sunday dinner through the living rm to get to the dining rm. A lot of people are doing away with formal dining rooms these days except for the bigger homes

Regardless, Open concept is the way to go currently. Go for the smaller sitting area and turn the kitchen/dining space into a cooking/family space. I'm sure you won't be sorry
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Dining rooms are places to put your dining room set, and your china on display for nobody to look at. If you can afford to tie up a good portion of your home to be used once or twice a year, and live in the left over square footage, regardless of size, then keep the dining room. To me they are left over from when people had servants and they sat down to be served by the wait staff like in Downton Abbey.

Sell the damn dining room set and the china and buy a good bed and a sledge hammer. Its demo time!

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

sell the damn dining room set and the china and buy a good bed and a sledge hammer. Its demo time!

hurray !!
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote