Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Kyle Emerick

Share |

should I stain the interior?

I am wondering if I should also stain the interior of my new vegetable garden?

I am using Olympic Maximum stain from Lowes.

I plan on using a thick plastic liner on the interior to protect the wood. However should I continue to stain the interior of this vegetable garden? I am thinking it would be good to do so in order to protect the wood however I am afraid it might be detrimental to the veggies I will be growing?

http://www.emerickdesigns.com/media/.../target74.html
Attached Thumbnails
should I stain the interior?-img_1364.jpg  

Last edited by kemerick; 03-05-2009 at 08:12 AM.
kemerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sounds like a wasted effort to stain the inside if it won't be seen. We don't know what kind of wood it's built from though. If it's built from treated lumber, you may need to protect the plants from the wood. Your plants may not like the copper from the wood treatment leaching into the soil.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Kyle Emerick

Sorry about that... it is untreated douglas fir. I wanted to stain the interior to protect it from the wet dirt that will be up against it. However I will be covering it with platsic, so I guess that answers my question.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #4

I'd stain it, provided your stain is an exterior protective stain. Otherwise it would be a waste of time. The untreated fir needs protection. If you're lining it with plastic you won't have contact between the dirt and the stain.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #5

Since this is not treated wood, you should protect it, not necessarily color it. There are wood protectors available. Use one of those.
Why would you use doug fir, in contact with the ground and fill it with wet dirt? Plastic aside,it will rot within 5 years.
I would elevate it off the ground a few inches to make it last longer, along with a more permanent liner to keep the soil from contacting the wood. You will poke holes in the plastic.
You put a lot of work into this, so it pays to try to minimize water issues.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Kyle Emerick

The posts are in concrete, so the only dirt to wood contact should be when dirt gets kicked up along the side which I will try to minimize. I will use a wood protector on the interior in additon to the plastic liner. Thanks for the suggestions!