DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Should I seal where wood trim meets the brick? (

megan81 07-01-2008 12:23 PM

Should I seal where wood trim meets the brick?
New homeowner here, so pardon my ignorance!

I was out doing some yardwork the other day and I noticed a wasp go between the wood trim (that is under my eaves) and the brick (that makes up the exterior wall of my house). I was just wondering if I should seal that somehow or is there meant to be a small gap for ventilation?

If I should seal it, what product do you guys recommend? A foam or a caulk?

Megan :wink:

Termite 07-01-2008 12:40 PM

The wood trim on the exterior wall of the house under the soffits is called a frieze board. Assuming there's a soffit over it, it probably isn't flashed in any way because it won't get direct water running off it. So, I don't see any reason you can't caulk it to seal it up. I would not suggest spray foam for this...Too hard to control when it expands. For small gaps, exterior caulk will work fine. If the gaps get a little larger, you can use foam backer rod in the gap and caulk over the backer rod.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1