Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

Share |

Should i seal and insulate these vents?

I'm insulating and dry walling a detached garage this weekend. It has a few 2" high vents up near the ceiling (picture below).

There's some debate in the family as to whether we should leave the vents open, or seal them with insulation and drywall.

The arguments: The whole point of insulating is to keep the hot so. Cal air out of the garage, so why leave an easy route for air to come in? And they don't really provide much ventilation, since they're so small.

On the other hand, hot air rises and they're at the top, so they might actually help keep the garage cooler.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Should i seal and insulate these vents?-image-2489271680.jpg   Should i seal and insulate these vents?-image-2480510240.jpg  

IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Do store any paint or chemicals in this garage? If yes, I would leave them as-is.

Also, why are you insulating and putting up sheetrock to your detached garage? Do you plan on working in there?

Otherwise, exposed studs give you lots of storage possibilities.

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy
Also, why are you insulating and putting up sheetrock to your detached garage? Do you plan on working in there?
Yes, it's also a workshop. Also, it's a storage utility for the house. A lot of stuff will go in here that I don't want to be stored at high temp all the time.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

if you have enough overhang for soffit vents, you might consider putting them in along with a ridge vent at the top, which would be more effective at managing temperature than two side windows.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #5

From the pictures, it does not look like there is soffit vents in place. However, the vent shown in the photo kind of works like that of soffit vents.

Something to consider IMO is to add more of these along with ridge vent along the roof ridge. Maybe something like one opening on every other space between the studs (for visual and practical reasons).

Alternatively, depends on what you are trying to accomplish, you could add a window unit underneath this vent.

Lastly, you could really do a combination of all three things I mentioned and ventilate the heck out of that detached garage.

If you don't like these suggestions, my final suggestion is to use a large commercial grade fan(s) to move the air throughout the building.

Good luck.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Sadly, soffit vents are definitely not an option here.

I'm just going to leave the vents open for now (there are 4 or 5 of them). If I feel they're letting in too much hot air later on, I can always install closable vent covers over them in the future.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

it's a detached garage for crying outloud!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #8

It's a detached garage, but its also going to be my hobby workshop and yesterday it hit 120 degrees in the east section. Yuck. Just trying to figure out the best way to keep it cool without (hopefully) resorting to an a/c system.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #9

another option would be to cut out two gable vents and mount a fan on one of them to get the air moving.
The Following User Says Thank You to allthumbsdiy For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #10

You know... if you are a sports fan (american football, soccer, and any professional field sport), they use those industrial type fans with mist... I would do that for my detached garage - if I had one...
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

IS there venting close to the slab?
Your vents up top may be there to allow combustion air to service a water heater.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
You know... if you are a sports fan (american football, soccer, and any professional field sport), they use those industrial type fans with mist... I would do that for my detached garage - if I had one...
For a fraction of the cost of one of those industrial misting fans, I think I would just buy a window mounted air conditioner
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

Hmm... both good ideas, but I wonder which would be cheaper to operate in the long run...
Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #14

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If it was 120F inside, it was not due to the outside air getting in since it does not get that high in Pasadena.

The hot air is trapped inside due to the sun on the roof and no way to get out, so it accumulates.

Put in the gable vents (and possibly a fan in ONE of them) to evacuate the air since hot air rises and does not go down after getting into a wall vent.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #15

The high/low wall vents (separate from the attic) were for combustion gases required/implemented by the FHA in the '70's, early '80's. As Andy correctly said. I installed them in attached garages in '75, per building code requirements. Vent the attic separatly from the garage in case of fire. No point in sending a room fire to the attic framing- fast. You could build a solar chimney chase, lined, with metal ducting to the room's ceiling, exhausting high air, which would draw incoming (low) air from the over-head door cracked open. Or low wall vents on a side without "hard-scaping", concrete (heat-sink). http://www.google.com/search?q=solar...iw=853&bih=504

Gary