Should I Open Up My Enclosed Patio? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I open up my enclosed patio?

The previous owner did not do a very good job of enclosing a patio. We can't turn our sprinklers on because the sprinklers are too close to the patio. We can't enjoy the small grass area because there is wall along the front of enclosed patio w/sliding doors located on the sides. It's very private but we want to enjoy our back yard instead of looking at a wall.

Is it a wise decision to remove the walls and make the patio open as far as resale of our home goes? I'm not sure if enclosed patios have any value?

Also, the walls are even with the concrete foundation so water seeps through when we get a lot of rain. Any easy solutions for this?

I guess another alternative would be to install sliding doors in the front wall of the patio. Then we'd still have the sprinkler and water seeping inside issue.

Advice?

Thanks,
Mel

Advertisement

diyimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the sprinklers are in the wrong location, move them. If water comes in when it rains, look around for the reason. Is the grading away from the house? Are the leaders long enough to get the water from the gutters at least 6 feet away?
Take the wall down if you don't want it there.

"Also, the walls are even with the concrete foundation so water seeps through when we get a lot of rain. Any easy solutions for this ?"
Post a picture about this one.

Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #3

No gutters on a flat roof. The enclosed patio is not in good condition as you will see from the pictures. Interior is okay condition. The exterior walls (paneled) and window trim were never sealed. Window trim and paneling on the outside have started to buckle and come off in areas.

^^ Panel removed. View of the inside where plywood meets concrete foundation. ^^
Thank ahead for your help!

Melissa
Old 07-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

This seems to be a classic example of, "cheap/stupid " homeowner work. I doubt it was filed for, so more then likely an illegal structure. I would make inquireries at the local Building dept to check out your house file if it hasn't been researched before, when you bought the house.
The value of the house would not suffer from it's removal and conversion back into an open porch.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #5

Ron, it would not surprise me one bit. Not one bit. This house has been full of surprises. Since it would have no affect on the house value, the sucker is coming down! Absolutely no need in fixing up someone's messes and dealing with permits on top of that for something we don't love.

Thanks for your help. You can't imagine how much i appreciate your honesty.

-Melissa