Should I Insulate Basement Storage? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 176

Should I insulate basement storage?

So, I am finishing my basement and I understood the value of proper insulation.

I have removed most of f.g. insulation blanket that the builder installed and replaced them with XPS insulation. I say most of them because I have not removed the area behind the furnace, and around water heater, sub-pump, etc. where I was thinking to use them as a storage.

Should I remove them as well and replace with XPS?
I'm thinking to safe some fund and put it toward something else.

Let me know if you think this is a mistake.

Thanks!

Advertisement

325_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,474

How are you enclosing the XPS insulation ?

Advertisement

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

We have no idea about where you are and what your climate is.

Are you trying to create a controlled space or keep it warmer or colder?

Because of the moderating effects of the soil, there is a tendency to over insulate a basement, especially if the theoretical, short term R-values used in areas that are really controlled by thermal mass and storage and not short-term daily or seasonal exterior air temperature swings.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

XPS insulation (R-10, 2" thickness) is installed on the concrete wall perimeter of the basement for the finish areas.

I am in Virginia, near Washington, DC area.
The storage area is part of the basement where the garage is.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

I think what Oso is referring to is what are you putting in front of the XPS? I don't believe that it is supposed to be final. Are you putting a 2x4 wall up against it?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 746

XPS has to be covered by something like drywall that will keep flames away from it for a certain amount of time. When it burns it lets off fumes that will kill people in minutes. I believe it's illegal(and not smart) in all parts of the country.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Yes, the area covered by XPS will be finish areas and therefore I will frame them up and cover them with drywall. However, the area that are meant for storage (i.e. behind the furnace, and around water heater, sub-pump, etc), I left the builders f.g. insulation blanket alone.

My question is: should these f.g. blanket insulation too and replace them with XPS? XPS is not cheap. So, If I can safe money by not replacing them, I could invest the fund on other things in the basement.
I could also just remove them and leave them as bare concrete wall as f.g. insulation may harbor mold, but I am not sure what the code requirement is for concrete wall. Or, perhaps, I just remove them when the inspection is completed.

Last edited by 325_man; 04-23-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 746

I wouldn't put XPS near a furnace or water heater. Would you even have room to cover it with drywall? I assume these are in their own room or closet, correct? You could always insulate the walls between the room and the basement if it concerns you.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I've been wondering the same thing. There is a lot of information saying why to use XPS and not the basement diaper, but WHAT IF the space is divided just as the OP mentioned?? I was "planning" on splitting my basement in half, half finished with drywall and half left as is with the diaper walls which will be storage. I want to look at the walls before I enclose them of course, but if half the basement were to remain diapered....is it worth the expense of XPS-ing the finished half?? I can see a reason FOR: I suppose IF there were to be a crack which leaked behind the drywall, I'd rather have XPS in contact there than fiberglass. The unfinished portion I will see water coming down the bottom of the wall if there is a leak. The whole part about condensation, etc. seems to be short-circuited though by having a half and half basement. Thoughts??

Advertisement

newbie1808 is offline   Reply With Quote