Should I Apply Texture To Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

should i apply texture to ceiling

I am purchasing a house built in the 40's and the ceiling is in fine condition but I want it to be up to par with modern construction...there is no texture now but one of the contractors suggested applying knock down . What is common in new houses these days?

Advertisement

jaimiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimiej View Post
I am purchasing a house built in the 40's and the ceiling is in fine condition but I want it to be up to par with modern construction...there is no texture now but one of the contractors suggested applying knock down . What is common in new houses these days?
Can't be sure about other areas, but in the northeast, walls and ceilings are smooth and untextured

Advertisement

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

keep it smooth; much easier to paint and keep cobwebs off!
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

leave it smooth. nothing dates a house more than a textured ceiling. the only times I have seen or used them is when the ceiling needed defects covered up, whether it was a drywall or concrete ceiling. then again, it might be popular and expected in your area, but here in the North or Southeast, everything is smooth. plus, cobwebs, dirt (you'd be surprised how it ends up there), are impossible to clean off of it.
BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

What happens with smooth ceilings, is that a light fixture mounted in the ceiling will allow the dips in the drywall to cast shadows, showing where the ceiling joist are. The texture breaks this up and helps it to look more uniform. That is why they do it.

If it looks good smooth, then great. If not, then the cheap alternative is texturing. As far as modern goes, they are still texturing ceilings in new construction. It just varies by builder design.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dtsman For This Useful Post:
Willie T (02-19-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS98 View Post
leave it smooth. nothing dates a house more than a textured ceiling. the only times I have seen or used them is when the ceiling needed defects covered up, whether it was a drywall or concrete ceiling. then again, it might be popular and expected in your area, but here in the North or Southeast, everything is smooth. plus, cobwebs, dirt (you'd be surprised how it ends up there), are impossible to clean off of it.

Nothing says originality like a flat ceiling.

If you want knockdown put knockdown. Who cares if a home is dated. And who cares as well if it looks modern.

Put knockdown because you want it, not because "everybody else is doing it"

As a professional texture guy, I personally hate the question "what does everyone else have". It shows you have no originality to making something your home. You just want it to look like everyone elses.

My ceilings and walls are both knockdown. I like it because its different. To me a slick ceiling is outdated and boring. They only do it because they didnt have texture yet, and allot of people up north do not like change at all so they constantly go slick.

Ive never seen any cobwebbs inside a home that is maintained. Then again i am in florida. and believe it or not.... a broom can take care of cobwebs. and i am pretty sure you can clean dirt of of knockdown as well. i do it all the time. then again why would you be getting dirt on top of a ceiling unless you are throwing mud on it or don't know how to change an ac filter.......

Advertisement

Last edited by stoner529; 02-20-2011 at 12:06 AM.
stoner529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling , knock down , texture