Shopping For Nail Guns, And Need Advice. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Shopping for nail guns, and need advice.

I'm looking at Dewalt nail guns, I need something for general framing, for cedar siding intall (w/exposed nails), and a finish nailer. The finish nailer will be used on pine t&g boards, and general door window trim. Is it possible to use a framing nailer on siding? No building code requirements for full head or clipped.

Advertisement

vtboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Crusty Old Dude

Most people tend to hand drive cedar shake because it splits so easily. I did a job last summer where I had to remove and then replace a small amount of cedar siding. I used my Paslode gas operated framing nailer to reattach it with 2 3/8" ring shank galvanized nails. It seemed to work alright. Just make sure you set the depth adjustment properly and you might even back off the air pressure a bit from normal,

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Is this for personal use or do you plan to make a living at it?

Personal use....maybe consider the Campbell Hausfield set....I got a compressor, fraiming, finishing and brad nailer for about $350. So far I have built a 2-story garage and i'm a little over half way on a 2-story addition to my house...I've used the dog crap out of it...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 602

Cedar siding will end up with black circles everywhere a galv. nail is exposed any exposed nails need to be stainless steel.
Siding nails are a smaller gauge, smaller headed then a framing nail. It will need to be hand nailed or use a siding nail gun.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (03-21-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtboy51 View Post
I need something for general framing...cedar siding...and a finish nailer.
You're looking for THREE different tools.

As to brands... that's gonna start arguments.
For me I really like my beat up old Senco. YMMV.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (03-21-2012), oh'mike (03-21-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

A good Senco gun for framing! and then use a roofing gun for siding works great duel purpose use. and Porter cable makes some nice finish guns. But if these are just one time use guns I would rent them and save money.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

http://www.lowes.com/pd_325598-43657...%7C1&facetInfo=

This is probably no where close to a great nail gun kit but i bought one when it was on sale for $179 during christmas and it was by far the best $179 i have spent on tools. I use mine a bunch around my house and helping friends out as well. If you dont want to spend a ton i would take a look at these.
diybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Senco guns are great. A good place to buy them at a great price is http://www.cpooutlets.com/shop-our-o...rd=cpo&sissr=1
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

framing guns are meant for framing.. even though some may say you can use them for siding, its a trial and error method. with most sidings that get gun nails you have to have the head at a specific depth in order to get the proper holding power. most framing guns overdrive the nails so you have to play around with air pressure to get it right. a coil siding nailer is what you want to use. joe is right about stainless steel nails in cedar,its all we use on both wood and fibre cement. roofing nailers can be used but only on fiber cement and even then they can blow out the ends.

if your doing this all the time look into hitachi, max, paslode. if its just a hobby porter cable will suit you just fine, they use to make pro grade guns but their newer gun is only for diy, ive used both and wasnt overly pleased with the earlier models and i hated the new stuff. ill stick to paslode and hitachi
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtboy51 View Post
I'm looking at Dewalt nail guns, I need something for general framing, for cedar siding intall (w/exposed nails), and a finish nailer. The finish nailer will be used on pine t&g boards, and general door window trim. Is it possible to use a framing nailer on siding? No building code requirements for full head or clipped.

I have been using the DeWalt 51844 Framer for almost 3 years now. Full Round Head. Bought it reconditioned through Amazon. Works very well. No problems. Few jams. 16d's set good and slightly more than flush consistently. Fires 8d's like a champ with little depth adjustment back and forth.

I think you want to hand-set cedar siding manually. Just a thought.

I use the DeWalt 51238 for 18 ga. finish and brads and the Rigid Angle Magazine R250AF-A for 15 ga. finish. Both are great and trouble free. DeWalt was bought reconditioned and the Rigid was bought new. The Rigid is very nice. Swivel air nipple and a rubber tip to protect your stock.

Advertisement

98ZJUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote